• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shock leaders.

View attachment 242
A few from season before last. I only kept a couple here and there last year, but didn’t have many productive trips
Strangely enough there are not that many flounders here, loads of plaice though even at low tide with a 25 yard lob, thornbacks as well and best of all It is the only place I know in Wales with no dogs

Strangely enough there are not that many flounders here, loads of plaice though even at low tide with a 25 yard lob, thornbacks as well and best of all It is the only place I know in Wales with no dogs
I’ll swap you a week, I would love to be able to catch plaice like that, we have nine in our estuary

Going back to the original subject ie mono and braid for @Trampster i orso have Penn reels the affinity 7000 and suffered from wind knots on it and on my Penn battle 8000 i have now reloaded the affinity with 12 lb mono but put a 80 lb braid leader on it and it flys on my cobra orso have a pair of of ultegra xsc loaded with 28lb whiplash and 80 lb braid leader and never had a wind knot your other option is to go for a heavier braid straight thru I know jhon mithall rus 60 lb straight thru and has no issues mate FYI nowt wrong with Penn reels used the surf blasters for years with no issues and I love ? my affinity 7000 so much so gonna get the carbon version next year to pair up with me cobra ? but I’m not a massive fan of the battle look at the size difference between it and the xscD880156D-76AA-46BC-B998-59EDAC17A0B7.jpegits ok for donkey work tho

Going back to the original subject ie mono and braid for @Trampster i orso have Penn reels the affinity 7000 and suffered from wind knots on it and on my Penn battle 8000 i have now reloaded the affinity with 12 lb mono but put a 80 lb braid leader on it and it flys on my cobra orso have a pair of of ultegra xsc loaded with 28lb whiplash and 80 lb braid leader and never had a wind knot your other option is to go for a heavier braid straight thru I know jhon mithall rus 60 lb straight thru and has no issues mate FYI nowt wrong with Penn reels used the surf blasters for years with no issues and I love ? my affinity 7000 so much so gonna get the carbon version next year to pair up with me cobra ? but I’m not a massive fan of the battle look at the size difference between it and the xscView attachment 249its ok for donkey work tho
Wow that is a difference ,

I have gone 70 lb straight though on the ultegra, suits me for the fishing I do.

It’s not so bad round here on my beach’s I have got spools loaded with 80 lb for tougher stuff and distance is not a issue on east Devon beaches but on chisel little differences make the difference all the guys I know who do well on chesil can cast well the guy I fish with regularly out fished me regularly up there where I can hold my own down here so that’s the reason for the thinner braid I’ve never caught a sole on chisel till last year useing that set up

Going back to the original subject ie mono and braid for @Trampster i orso have Penn reels the affinity 7000 and suffered from wind knots on it and on my Penn battle 8000 i have now reloaded the affinity with 12 lb mono but put a 80 lb braid leader on it and it flys on my cobra orso have a pair of of ultegra xsc loaded with 28lb whiplash and 80 lb braid leader and never had a wind knot your other option is to go for a heavier braid straight thru I know jhon mithall rus 60 lb straight thru and has no issues mate FYI nowt wrong with Penn reels used the surf blasters for years with no issues and I love ? my affinity 7000 so much so gonna get the carbon version next year to pair up with me cobra ? but I’m not a massive fan of the battle look at the size difference between it and the xscView attachment 249its ok for donkey work tho
Thanks Tats! Everybody says Sniano but just too expensive for me. The Affinity & Battle gives me 2 more Penn options to search for. ??

It’s not so bad round here on my beach’s I have got spools loaded with 80 lb for tougher stuff and distance is not a issue on east Devon beaches but on chisel little differences make the difference all the guys I know who do well on chesil can cast well the guy I fish with regularly out fished me regularly up there where I can hold my own down here so that’s the reason for the thinner braid I’ve never caught a sole on chisel till last year useing that set up
Thank what I have noticed, Chezil does make for those small changes mean fish

Thanks Tats! Everybody says Sniano but just too expensive for me. The Affinity & Battle gives me 2 more Penn options to search for. ??
If your arfter a good fixed spool at a cheap price look at the Okuma surf 8 k only £70 and got cracking reviews mate and for the fishing you do I expect twill be perfect

If your arfter a good fixed spool at a cheap price look at the Okuma surf 8 k only £70 and got cracking reviews mate and for the fishing you do I expect twill be perfect
Thanks Tats - will do. A mate I chat too on Youtube in USA is a rep for Okuma, and he's always on about 'em!

Back