• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Show us yer pike

Lovely specimens
The rivers and lakes in my region have been decimated by over Fishing ? and our Eastern European people who like at the coast, "Catch and Keep" policy, no matter how small.

Lovely specimens
The rivers and lakes in my region have been decimated by over Fishing ? and our Eastern European people who like at the coast, "Catch and Keep" policy, no matter how small.
I saw this on Southampton west quay, scores of immature bass being carted away in buckets. Our local lakes now have signs up with cartoon pics of a stick man with a fish under his arm, a carp in a frying pan etc all with big red lines through them. One local water lost quite a few carp. Club’s on top of it now.

Stunning looking fish.
These pike had a regular diet of stocked trout! When they get to these sizes they regulate pike numbers by eating the jacks as well.

I do not know how the Lake of Menteith (only LAKE in Scotland!) is fishing now, at the time these fish were caught there were both excellent trout and many 30 lb+ pike to be caught. The lake also had a healthy stock of coarse fish - though there was no fishing for them and very limited fishing for the pike.

Lovely place and very scenic.

Many years ago I booked a holiday in a house on the banks of a loch near Dunkeld which included bank fishing. I assumed the fishing would be for trout and packed all my fly fishing gear but when I arrived I discovered that the loch was full of pike and was fished from boats by a syndicate. I was allowed to fish a short section of bank in front of the house. Fortunately I'd also packed a light spinning rod, a small multiplier loaded with 10lb line and a few small Toby lures. It wasn't ideal for pike but I gave it a go and during the week caught a dozen fish to around 10lb or so. Amazingly considering my inadequate tackle, I didn't loose a single lure or fish all week and managed to lip hook virtually every fish with no bite offs. I'd never fished for pike before and haven't done since but it was a really enjoyable week's fishing.
iimage078.jpg

I was feeder fishing for bream on the shannon system at a spot called "the stone pier" I was catching 7lb bream steadily . The next cast i hit something solid that felt totally different . The large fish took about 20-30 yards of line then came off ? , But i still had something on ? So i kept playing it and played it in and it was another 7lb bream with large teeth marks from a very big pike that had , had hold of it.

In your case Joe it would have been a truly Tree mendous IRISH Pike.Well worth a mention.

It was a huge fish to grab a 7lb bream tdx . The zebra mussel landed in the 90s and has filtered out alot of the natural food for the bream shoals and now there not around as common they used to be. The loughs and lakes are still fine though . A story i heard from an angler was a couple of divers were diving in kilglass lough .Co roscommon . They were hovering / swimming over the bottom of the lough ( 20-30ft depth ) and one of the divers turned his head and thought another diver was down there diving at the same time . So he swam a little closer to the what he thought was another diver and it was a pike the size of a person that swam away and dissapeared into the depths of kilglass .

Back