• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Silly question?

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I spent £14 on a pretend baby mackerel yesterday, bit of an impulse buy it must be said.
Last evening I took it out for a swim and ended up on Yarmouth Pier where it got knocked by a couple of, most likely, small bass. These were both very close to the pier structure.

It weighs 14g.
How far should I expect to be able to cast it?
I was using 20lb braid with no leader on my Shimano travel rod.
It wasn't going much over 30 feet I would have thought.

I am almost a complete numpty with lures.

TIA
Ian

14g is roughly 1/2oz mate, 20lb braid will take the shock of casting that no problem, I would assume that your rod is rated above that so it should go as far as you can fling it!

Although it's a travel rod, I have cast a 4oz weight 70 yds with the rod.
Is it too stiff for 14g?

What sort of rod should I look at?

I've just looked and it's rated at 50-100g.
Therefore I am thinking it's a bit too powerful for 14g, bit obvious really having looked!
I may take a wander up the tackle shop later and have a look. I'll note the ratings this time as well.
Lures are a bit of a mystery to me but there are lots of opportunities to use them here so investigation is needed.

I've just looked and it's rated at 50-100g.
Therefore I am thinking it's a bit too powerful for 14g, bit obvious really having looked!
I may take a wander up the tackle shop later and have a look. I'll note the ratings this time as well.
Lures are a bit of a mystery to me but there are lots of opportunities to use them here so investigation is needed.

I’d look at something in the 10-30g kind of range for lure fishing, it’ll cover most of what you’d be likely to use.

I usually find myself converting grams into ounces when working things out, say to me “it’s rated at 85g” I’ll just look blank, say “it’s rated 3oz” and I get that! For spinning, I still use an old 11ft 2lb t/c shimano areo specimen rod, it makes a good float/light ledger rod too in some situations.

On the pier yes but from the shore, over a reef that goes out 50 yards, a bit more distance would help I think

You should be able to hand throw a lure of that size further than 10 yards. The rod you are using wont load for an average caster with a lure that light but it will still act as a lever so I would have thought 30-40 yards should be possible in calm conditions.

Back