• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

simple bait

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I don't know if anybody uses this sort of bait but it is something that has got my attention after watching youtube videos. It is a bait I would say is more like something a course fisherman would use but I have been watching vids of people catching Black Bream and others with it. Essentially it is a mix of canned pilchards, white flour and sand made into a putty like consistency which is then moulded around the hook. I would say it would be used as a float bait or on the bottom fishing close in off rocks on a ledger rig. It is a favoured bait for Black Bream down this way.

Wonder if they like sweetcorn?

I don't know if anybody uses this sort of bait but it is something that has got my attention after watching youtube videos. It is a bait I would say is more like something a course fisherman would use but I have been watching vids of people catching Black Bream and others with it. Essentially it is a mix of canned pilchards, white flour and sand made into a putty like consistency which is then moulded around the hook. I would say it would be used as a float bait or on the bottom fishing close in off rocks on a ledger rig. It is a favoured bait for Black Bream down this way.
Sounds good that. Course fish eat completley man made baits that dont resemble anything in nature so i dont see why its not with ago jambob . Paste catches really well in private fisherys thats for sure .

Here is how they make the bait he is using fresh sardines but other use canned probably much cheaper to use fresh sardines. The second vid is how they fish with it... god knows how long that rod is :ROFLMAO: sorry the commentary is in French the video is at St Jean De Luz where I will be fishing this year. There are some really good beach area as well some rocky areas too so I am looking forward to different styles of fishing this year. I have just listened to the sound very carefully and the rod is eight meters long!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0OopALDg0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kC8hD36LM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ2YyRTdCk

Last edited:
For a cost of next to nothing that has to be worth a try, and I have the exact spot to try it out.
I won't be able to report back until the summer though.

I've used bread and sardines mixed into a putty abroad when on holiday and had various small fish types, including bream species, in the canaries on it. I might try this tactic in summer on the bream marks in North Wales if we are allowed out much.

I've used bread and sardines mixed into a putty abroad when on holiday and had various small fish types, including bream species, in the canaries on it. I might try this tactic in summer on the bream marks in North Wales if we are allowed out much.
I will be giving it a try as a near bottom float bait. I am sure this bait mirrors the sort of putty type baits use by course anglers? This particular style mix call it what you will is very popular in North Africa and was brought here by people who came to France from the old occupied countries Algeria, Morocco etc. It is a killer bait for Black Bream don't know about gilt head. Good thing about it is you can make a batch of it and divide it into balls and store it frozen in a box then just take out what you need for the day.

I will be giving it a try as a near bottom float bait. I am sure this bait mirrors the sort of putty type baits use by course anglers? This particular style mix call it what you will is very popular in North Africa and was brought here by people who came to France from the old occupied countries Algeria, Morocco etc. It is a killer bait for Black Bream don't know about gilt head. Good thing about it is you can make a batch of it and divide it into balls and store it frozen in a box then just take out what you need for the day.

Yeah that's a good point mate. It doesn't matter once it's thawed out either if it goes off as it cost pennies to make with bulking it up with flour/bread, etc. I wonder how a white flavourless dough would fish ledgered, not thinking mullet like some might suggest but for other stuff. Will have to give it a try and see if the whiteness, the visibility, alone is enough to get a bite.

I am
Yeah that's a good point mate. It doesn't matter once it's thawed out either if it goes off as it cost pennies to make with bulking it up with flour/bread, etc. I wonder how a white flavourless dough would fish ledgered, not thinking mullet like some might suggest but for other stuff. Will have to give it a try and see if the whiteness, the visibility, alone is enough to get a bite.
I am sure you could make a bread type dough without the sardine but I have seen them add fish oil to the mix to give it a bit of attraction. We do not get Tuna in oil now, the wife prefers it in la di da spring water, but we do get sardines in oil. I think I am going to start saving the gravy and using that be worth a try and it usually gets thrown in the bucket anyway.

I am

I am sure you could make a bread type dough without the sardine but I have seen them add fish oil to the mix to give it a bit of attraction. We do not get Tuna in oil now, the wife prefers it in la di da spring water, but we do get sardines in oil. I think I am going to start saving the gravy and using that be worth a try and it usually gets thrown in the bucket anyway.
Maybe get some in brine or add some cooking oil to the tin.

Here is how they make the bait he is using fresh sardines but other use canned probably much cheaper to use fresh sardines. The second vid is how they fish with it... god knows how long that rod is :ROFLMAO: sorry the commentary is in French the video is at St Jean De Luz where I will be fishing this year. There are some really good beach area as well some rocky areas too so I am looking forward to different styles of fishing this year. I have just listened to the sound very carefully and the rod is eight meters long!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0OopALDg0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kC8hD36LM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ2YyRTdCk
can't really make out what the fella is doing, is he float fishing with it?

I like the flour mix, one tin plain, one tin tomato.

No I thin
can't really make out what the fella is doing, is he float fishing with it?

I like the flour mix, one tin plain, one tin tomato.
No I think it is fished on a simple ledger rig but I don't see why it could not be fished on a float... I am going to try it out that way fished very near the bottom because that is where black bream tend to feed. The water where the guy is fishing is not very deep he may just be letting the bait sink under its own weight.

No I thin

No I think it is fished on a simple ledger rig but I don't see why it could not be fished on a float... I am going to try it out that way fished very near the bottom because that is where black bream tend to feed. The water where the guy is fishing is not very deep he may just be letting the bait sink under its own weight.
Some nice bream too, I just wish if they are keeping them that they would dispatch them first then bugger about with the hook.

Pet bug bear.

Back