• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skate fishing trip

Hellooo dave,it sounds great but it may be a bit to early in the year for me ,but I'll let you know if things change

No probs Mike , its an opportunity for me too , I have scoped out most of the shoreline around Oban up to Connel Bridge myself , lots of possibles, but local knowledge would I think be invaluable. I myself will also be using one of Dougies boats up on Etive, I wonder if Etive has any resident Skate . I have had Thornbacks there before.

Dave

been looking at the water depth around Oban and a few places look ok 50 + ft deep well in casting range at low water is that what we are looking for , or do they come up in shallow water .

been looking at the water depth around Oban and a few places look ok 50 + ft deep well in casting range at low water is that what we are looking for , or do they come up in shallow water .
Apparently they come in as "shallow" as 30ft at night on the hunt, however i would rather stack the odds in my favour and fish deeper all day and night.

If anybody hasn't seen it, Mark WIlliams did a Scottish Skate fishing trip from the shore about 3 months ago (below), he also has a boat fishing Skate video on his channel. Mark is pretty good & keen to help others, so anyone on Facemuck could try sending him a message for some info.

Apparently they come in as "shallow" as 30ft at night on the hunt, however i would rather stack the odds in my favour and fish deeper all day and night.
thats what i thought depth wise , just seem where i looked google earth for roads / navionics for water depth parking is a long way away , bit more home work i think .

Its def on the bucket list but when i will get round to it i dont know, i have toyed with towing the boat up but such a long way, i do have a friend who had a boat out Oban, not sure whether he still fishes out off there i will ask.

been thinking about this skate trip ,if fishing one rod i would think 3 baits in 12 hours would be ok, most times , so what's the tackle loss rate like ,i know this is a bit his and miss as to ground you might be fishing over . i thinking most places are snagy -rock places into deepest water ,.

Due to the size of the baits being used (pretty much whole fish) it does take longer for them to wash out than normal, but i think 3 baits in 12 hours may be optimistic.

Due to the fact you need the scent trail for the skate to follow, we normally change the bait out every hour or so.

Tackle loss wise its actually not that bad as the depth of the water means you are lifting your gear pretty much straight up, so less chance of it catching on stuff, defo rotten bottom your weights though, as if anything is going to snag during a fight with a bottom hugging fish then it will be that. Due to the fact you are using 200lb-ish rig and rubbing leader, your rotten bottom can actually be in the region of 20lb, we were using 18lb maxima as it we had a spare spool of it on the go that needed used up. The main point was that if you get parted off during the fight, then it gives the fish a chance to snap itself free if the lead snags before the hook rots out.

i was thinking 3 mackerel per bait so it could have a bit of time down there , or is a single mackerel the normal way for bait . the way i was thinking in the 12 hours you would not be fishing when the tide is going mad so would cut that time down a bit , and bait per day 12 - 15 mackerel per rod .

Due to the size of the baits being used (pretty much whole fish) it does take longer for them to wash out than normal, but i think 3 baits in 12 hours may be optimistic.

Due to the fact you need the scent trail for the skate to follow, we normally change the bait out every hour or so.

Tackle loss wise its actually not that bad as the depth of the water means you are lifting your gear pretty much straight up, so less chance of it catching on stuff, defo rotten bottom your weights though, as if anything is going to snag during a fight with a bottom hugging fish then it will be that. Due to the fact you are using 200lb-ish rig and rubbing leader, your rotten bottom can actually be in the region of 20lb, we were using 18lb maxima as it we had a spare spool of it on the go that needed used up. The main point was that if you get parted off during the fight, then it gives the fish a chance to snap itself free if the lead snags before the hook rots out.
What sort of distance are they at? I’m thinking a whole mackie would take some casting, or at least it would for me!

If anybody hasn't seen it, Mark WIlliams did a Scottish Skate fishing trip from the shore about 3 months ago (below), he also has a boat fishing Skate video on his channel. Mark is pretty good & keen to help others, so anyone on Facemuck could try sending him a message for some info.

I like the material that Mark Williams puts out, good mix of topics and he clearly explains stuff.

Some marks its a gentle lob, others a proper cast, but you are never fishing at range, casting wise.
Many thanks. Not that it’s something I’m likely to try any time soon, but did wonder on the distance side of things.

think i am missing something:ROFLMAO: mark Williams is saying in vid he fishing at lock Allan , i am looking at this and can only see one with the a939 road near it, which seem a small body of water for skate ,or am i looking at the wrong place ?

think i am missing something:ROFLMAO: mark Williams is saying in vid he fishing at lock Allan , i am looking at this and can only see one with the a939 road near it, which seem a small body of water for skate ,or am i looking at the wrong place ?
On the east side of Sound of Mull you have the small village called Lochaline. Beside it is the small inlet called Loch Aline. The skate mainly come from the sound.

Wrong place I think - I did a bit or research and I think he was in the Clach Na Criche (Wishing Stone) car park on the B849.

Last edited:
i was wrong as i had got the name spelt incorrect . and that what i though , so i asked and got reply

I mentioned Mark Williams Youtube Skate episode earlier in the thread - he announced yesterday that he is running a competition for 2 winners to go to Oban in June for a Skate boat fishing trip. check out his channel if interested.

Back