• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skate fishing trip

Mike hemming

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any one fancy a road trip next year to oban area, targeting skate from the shore ,was going this year but covid put an end to that trip, so does any one fancy coming along ,give me a call and let's arrange the trip of a life time

Best of luck Guys - I've seen videos of 170Lb + Skate being caught from the shore, but I haven't got the gear to cope with that, and from SW Devon, it's far to far to travel for me.

Iv been given a few pointers ,to try out ,I'm 61 so need to pull my finger out to catch one ,so next year is my year for one ,but need a fishing mate for company and to help each other out ,I'm fit and active so no problems there but would be easyer if not long walks

This was my plan for the start of next year, in between two jobs in Feb, no doubt it will need to be later once lockdown etc are finished with.

Infuriating when you actually have the time and ability to go but cant!

Any one fancy a road trip next year to oban area, targeting skate from the shore ,was going this year but covid put an end to that trip, so does any one fancy coming along ,give me a call and let's arrange the trip of a life time
I’d be up for that. I’ve had skate in Ireland but not this Ireland yet! Where you based?

There's a fair few marks with easy access Mike you'll probably know a couple of the more common areas obviously they get fished a lot but still a few places where the walk isn't that challenging im not that many years behind you lol you learn to go at your own pace what you doing about accommodation obviously things are up in the air at the moment warmer months its ok camping but other than than I like a bit of comfort can't beat a shower good meal after an all day session the way things are going still plenty time to get things sorted
At the moment it's all about planning ,depending on areas some nights roughing in a tent other nights b and b ,I'm looking around September time

so what sort of tackle rod, reel how much line to hold ? line strength, leads if casting from shore ? hooks , leader .

You need a beefy rod mate, one that can chuck 8oz and has a lot of rough ground backbone. Doesnt have to be expensive, Ron Thompson axellerator does the job well.
For reels pref an 8000 size reel, daiwa BG, Penn battle type, although seen plenty of others used, slosh's, saltists, fin-nor multi's etc. your average 300m of line is ok, bigger would be better.
The braid v's mono debate is obviously still ongoing, i use Daiwa J braid in the 60lb range. 150-200lb mono leader, size 10/0 bronzed o'shaugnessy style hook with half the barb removed and a right good sharpen.

I use a fairly long pulley rig, or up and over depending on the area, 200lb hook snood, and a fair shot of 200lb onto the shock leader as this gives you something to hold onto when beaching the fish on rocks etc at certain marks.

Weights wise i have never went above 6oz tbh, although occasionaly this can move a bot with the tide.

always interested me this skate fishing ....never been . is there enough to realistically target or is it a case of doing lots and lots of trips and hope that u get one luckily lol ?

I'm useing century komppresser ss and diawa bg8000, penn950 spinfisher, cabo80,line is 60lb braid on each spool but looking for spair spools to fill with mono

Keep coming with advice gents vastly appreciated not only by me but others as wall, no need to give your spots away ,but give us good sound advice on tackle ,rigs,line,hooks ,bait,and what's it like once you get a bite

I'm useing century komppresser ss and diawa bg8000, penn950 spinfisher, cabo80,line is 60lb braid on each spool but looking for spair spools to fill with mono
That should be absolutely perfect, or at least i hope so, as i have a Kompressor SS on the way after trying my mates!

Baits for me have been a "tailconed" makerel or bluey, elasticed to death to make them as streamlined as possible as tbh you arent casting that far, but every little helps.

Bite wise you will get the initial bounce on your rod tip which looks massive, but this is normally just the fish settling onto the bait, then it will run...... We have been striking towards the end of the run, to avoid deep hooked fish, but others i have seen striking as soon as the first run stops.

Fight wise its a tug of war, apply as much pressure as you can, and keep it on. you are trying to break them off the bottom as they will lie on the deck and arch their backs to create a kind of suction effect. Steady, constant pressure is the way ahead. Once they break off the bottom its a case of gain as much ground on them as you can and dont let them back down, once they are midwater its a case of you vs the weight of the fish and the tide flow. I would say its doable on your own, but as with all things its easier if there are a few of you and you have talked through roughly what you all need to happenduring the fight/at the end. Clearly the fish has its own input on this as well!

Hi Mike, I will be staying at Taynuilt, just out of Oban for ten days at the end of May /beginning of June next year, if you happen to be in the area then I would be up for a session ??

Dave
Hellooo dave,it sounds great but it may be a bit to early in the year for me ,but I'll let you know if things change

Back