• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skate fishing trip

I heard "skin soft" spray by Avon, surprisingly, used to be a good repellent (contained citronella or summat) but I've also heard it's had it's formula changed since and doesn't work as well as it used to but that's just what I've heard and not tested it myself.
Just had a look, the existing mix has citronellol in it, I think the original may have had citronella. I would have to check a bottle to be sure.

I heard "skin soft" spray by Avon, surprisingly, used to be a good repellent (contained citronella or summat) but I've also heard it's had it's formula changed since and doesn't work as well as it used to but that's just what I've heard and not tested it myself.
just checked a bottle i have of the old avon skin so soft citronellol in that one

Avon SSS with citronella - I have stocks of the original - is indeed good but not perfect. The buggers still land on you but are far less likely to actually bite. Still get in your tearducts etc. A full bug suit is my recommendation (but still no full guarantee and a pain to wear). That and a very zen approach to taking the yin with the yang. They can be utterly hellish inland, often less so on the coast. A nice breeze is your best friend

Last edited:
Avon SSS with citronella - I have stocks of the original - is indeed good but not perfect. The buggers still land on you but are far less likely to actually bite. Still get in your tearducts etc. A full bug suit is my recommendation (but still no full guarantee and a pain to wear). That and a very zen approach to taking the yin with the yang. They can be utterly hellish inland, often less so on the coast. A nice breeze is your best friend
Here is a good article that covers midges but also a wee bit on clegs and ticks.

In case you’d not see it, there’s a midge forecast online, usually runs in the midge season.

In case you’d not see it, there’s a midge forecast online, usually runs in the midge season.

?
It's check the tide, check the weather, check the midges., go fish. (y)

Can remember an evening sitting local canal for tench. Had been a warm sunny day but starting to cloud over Gent fishing 10 -20 yds away was a nice English chappie on his first visit, His lady wife was sitting on the open tailgate of their estate having a sandwich. `Orrible little black cloud appeared from nowhere and dumped some rain for possibly a minute or two then stopped. It was like the Luftwaffe or something appearing, the insects from hell were all over us. I packed as quick as possible as the English gent was playing pit a pat with most exposed bits of his neck, arms etc.

Wished him well as I left (only about 7pm) and I can still here his deluded reply, "I`ll keep fishing, they will soon go away". Not until they have left little but your skeleton they wont

We always book our Scottish West Coast holidays before mid June as that seems to be when the Midges appear, if you keep an eye on the Smidge midge alert, it seems fairly obvious that they dont appear much at all on the East Coast, or Orkney.So far we have been midge free, for the last ten years or so touch wood.
We love Orkney and will be back there again next year,and are up on Etive in late May /June ,wehave never holidayed on the East Coast so if anybody has any advice or info please do let me know as it is on our ”to do” list .Sea Fishing is obviously a must have .

Dave

Shore fishing tends to be limited in my experience on the East, but there will be others with more positive reports. Better from kayak or boat. Agreed, Orkney and also Shetland are great. To be honest I often go 'West' but mainly for Brown Trout or Pike in the big Lochs.

I once saw a bush craft video where they used a candle with citronella in it in their shelter to keep the bugs at bay. Probably wouldn't work in an open space though, unless it was like a flippin' big medieval torch or summat.

Strange but most fishing I do in Scotland is on the east side from Inverness and north and had never ever been bothered by them.
Yet nip over to Ullapool way!!!!????

You said it `though, east side. Even the freakin` midge don`t want to go to that barren grey landscape

Back