• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skate fishing trip

Update ,I'm booking a camping pod for 7 nights ,have room for one person ,shair cost of camping pod

I’m headed there at the end of May!! 3 of us going, driving up on Saturday, got all day (and night) Sunday shore fishing then we’ve got 2 days booked on a charter boat Monday and Tuesday, drive home Wednesday.
I’ve not been this excited about anything since I was a kid near Christmas!!!!!!

I’m headed there at the end of May!! 3 of us going, driving up on Saturday, got all day (and night) Sunday shore fishing then we’ve got 2 days booked on a charter boat Monday and Tuesday, drive home Wednesday.
I’ve not been this excited about anything since I was a kid near Christmas!!!!!!
I'm booking for September, 11 to the 19th ,cant wait ,which area are you going to ,I'm heading oban area ,I have a spair seat for someone

I'm booking for September, 11 to the 19th ,cant wait ,which area are you going to ,I'm heading oban area ,I have a spair seat for someone
We’re staying in Oban itself. The charter isn’t far from there.
This thread aside, I’ve previously heard Lochaline is the place to go from the shore.... but how do you get there from Oban? It’s a heck of a drive around the waters, are there ferries running across does anyone know?
Are the skate caught near the Connel Bridge at all?
I booked this over two years ago now but Covid came and ruined it... twice!! Looks like it might actually happen this time though.

....I don’t think the wife would be happy if I went again in September ?

This thread aside, I’ve previously heard Lochaline is the place to go from the shore.... but how do you get there from Oban? It’s a heck of a drive around the waters, are there ferries running across does anyone know?
I booked this over two years ago now but Covid came and ruined it... twice!! Looks like it might actually happen this time though.

I don't know whether it's of any help, but you could try contacting Mark Williams Sea Angling on Youtube - he was up there last year (I think) catching big common Skate from Boat & Shore, and I think he is friendly with one of the charter skippers. Videos of both on his channel.

Iv got 6-7 spots sorted out for me kindly given to me by a local guy and some big time tips at the mo looks like I'm going on my own

No skate at Connel bridge, shallow water and very fast. Falls of Lora, pic below at Connel bridge. Lochaline is the main areas from the shore. You don`t go anywhere near Oban to get there. Heading up you come to Tyndrum. You would bear left for Oban, instead carry straight on (A82) down Glencoe to Corran. There is a ferry there takes you accross. (5-7 mins) Then south to Ardtornish and then Lochaline. You dont actually fish in Loch Aline which is shallow, you head out to the pier near the pub and you can cast into 120 mtrs with a lob. If not allowed to fish the pier just a few yards to the right of it off the rocks. Anywhere else around Oban from shore is chuck it and chance it, for commons, normally boat. At Lochaline judge your tides, aim for neaps as you are fishing the Sound of Mull and it rips through on springs or big tides. Just for confusion there is Lochaline (all one word) which is the wee village, you also have Loch Aline (lake Aline to you lot) it is a
small shallow loch and Lochaline sits on the shore of Loch Aline

index.jpg

Last edited:
No skate at Connel bridge, shallow water and very fast. Falls of Lora, pic below at Connel bridge. Lochaline is the main areas from the shore. You don`t go anywhere near Oban to get there. Heading up you come to Tyndrum. You would bear left for Oban, instead carry straight on (A82) down Glencoe to Corran. There is a ferry there takes you accross. (5-7 mins) Then south to Ardtornish and then Lochaline. You dont actually fish in Loch Aline which is shallow, you head out to the pier near the pub and you can cast into 120 mtrs with a lob. If not allowed to fish the pier just a few yards to the right of it off the rocks. Anywhere else around Oban from shore is chuck it and chance it, for commons, normally boat. At Lochaline judge your tides, aim for neaps as you are fishing the Sound of Mull and it rips through on springs or big tides. Just for confusion there is Lochaline (all one word) which is the wee village, you also have Loch Aline (lake Aline to you lot) it is a
small shallow loch and Lochaline sits on the shore of Loch Aline

View attachment 8592
I think Mark had his 168Lb one from Clach na Criche or nearby.

Well plans have changed ether for better or worse, been given a free 7 night stay on isle of lewis ,in September ,soooo what lewis like for fishing ,been told not a chance in hell to catch a skate from the shore there but plenty of other fish to catch ,

Well plans have changed ether for better or worse, been given a free 7 night stay on isle of lewis ,in September ,soooo what lewis like for fishing ,been told not a chance in hell to catch a skate from the shore there but plenty of other fish to catch ,
That’s a shame, what happened there Mike? I thought skate was why you were heading up there?

Not sure why you can`t get them. Only a few years back there was "not a chance in hell" of getting them from Harris, now fishing at night they regularily get the into 150+ from the shore. Get the deeper water around Loch maddy. Just because they say you can`t get them probably means nobody had tried. Other than that yo are looking pollack, coalies, cod, rays etc etc. Personally I`d be taking fly gear and trying the freshwater as well.

That’s a shame, what happened there Mike? I thought skate was why you were heading up there?
It is still on my bucket list ,but being given a free holiday on lewis I just cant refuse ,( it's my ancestral home can be traced back to there) ,it be great if I can find a skate there ,and has stan says I'll take my old fly rods

Not sure why you can`t get them. Only a few years back there was "not a chance in hell" of getting them from Harris, now fishing at night they regularily get the into 150+ from the shore. Get the deeper water around Loch maddy. Just because they say you can`t get them probably means nobody had tried. Other than that yo are looking pollack, coalies, cod, rays etc etc. Personally I`d be taking fly gear and trying the freshwater as well.
Stanley your a mind of incredible knowledge, I'll have a crack at that loch maddy it be mad not to

Stanley your a mind of incredible knowledge, I'll have a crack at that loch maddy it be mad not to
You don`t need to find deep water off the shore (like Lochaline) The guys on Harris are getting them with a lob into 20 -50 feet with the deep water a bit further out. The commons will come into shallow water at night to feed.

It is still on my bucket list ,but being given a free holiday on lewis I just cant refuse ,( it's my ancestral home can be traced back to there) ,it be great if I can find a skate there ,and has stan says I'll take my old fly rods
Ah I see, yes fair one, can’t turn down a free holiday!

Back