• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skin reactions to bait

Try antihistamines. Worth a punt surely?

I have the same problem with ragworm and squid. I know you've said gloves play up your hands as well which is a shame. I use barrier cream and marigolds. Also use a baiting needle to get worms on the hooks. Wash gloves in sea water after every bait up.

After years of pumping lug without gloves, I can no longer handle fresh yellows/commons/blacks without suffering.
Usually it's a few days of itching/soreness followed by a fortnight of skin peeling off my hands.
Wrapped lug and ragworm tend not to be as bad.

As has been said already, a bucket of clean sea water to continually wash off and fresh clean cloths to dry, make a big difference.
Keeping hands clean and free of cuts helps massively.
Using a disgorger or t bar stops your fingers getting shredded.

You could always try what's in font of you
(Saltwater) . This is a proven remedy for skin conditions/ inflammation etc. Works wonders for eczema and psoriasis. Try wetting your hand in the saltwater when baiting up. What you got to lose.?

After years of pumping lug without gloves, I can no longer handle fresh yellows/commons/blacks without suffering.
Usually it's a few days of itching/soreness followed by a fortnight of skin peeling off my hands.
Wrapped lug and ragworm tend not to be as bad.

As has been said already, a bucket of clean sea water to continually wash off and fresh clean cloths to dry, make a big difference.
Keeping hands clean and free of cuts helps massively.
Using a disgorger or t bar stops your fingers getting shredded.
Funny you should say that , I,ve found when handling lug worm the skin around my finger tips and around the nail the skin peels ! It takes a good week to ten days to go back to normal . I'm wondering if the worm juices are acidic which can cause the reaction???

Over 10 years back, I got I'll because of lug juices on my hands that I thought I had wiped off.
So since then I have worn gloves just for baiting up.
So I would bait up to rods then have 2 rigs ready for rebating depending on the baits.
I started off with latex, some come with talcum powder & some without .
Then switched over to nitrile gloves.
But you can buy vinyl gloves.
I only wear the gloves for the time it takes to bait up,then take them off so my hands don't sweat.

Back