• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales Slow day on the boat off Tenby

glandyman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Been looking forward to this tope trip since I booked it in Feb. Great boat and skipper , but we were warned to bring frozen macky because they are a bit patchy. Crappy weather forecast but there is always opportunity to shelter from the worst winds around Caldey Island but it does reduce the odds of catching. Less than 10 mins from Saundersfoot we hit the motherload of mackerel and baits were lowered in the sound within an hour of kick off. It's a compromise mark , which sometimes fishes well but is a poor relation to other marks in Carmarthen bay.

Loads of Huss close to double figs , I had a nice thornback which wrapped itself and came in like a dead weight and the fishfinder was continually showing a huge shoal of scad . Baited feathers were bringing in 2/3 scad a drop with many over a pound. Frozen crab or squid accounted for some smoothounds.

After a couple of hours,I sent yet another fresh flapper down and within seconds I was into a tope which spent much of it's time right under the boat and I could imagine the line fray but I got it back to my side of the boat and the skipper tried opened the boat door and tried to drag it in , about 15 lb , and the frayed line snapped about 6" from the hook . At least I saw the fish.

Moved a couple of miles to a sandbank and some of the guys had a few thornies and continual dogs , scad and mackerel.

Got soaked then dry , repeat , repeat and met some nice guys so I would give it a 6 out of 10 day ( I've had plenty of zero days)

At least you got out there and had a few. It was quiet down there last week. A few small bass about but hardly any sign of the sandeel shoals which are normally about in settled weather

At least you got out there and had a few. It was quiet down there last week. A few small bass about but hardly any sign of the sandeel shoals which are normally about in settled weather

Skipper said the water temp was still only 9 C , usually around 12 C by June so that may be affecting things. Out again on Saturday , boat from Laugharne , so we will have another go. We had quite a few bass on the same trip 11 days ago , not many over 42cm but all very plump fish. My home made bass measure.

Attachments

• bass.jpeg
    bass.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 8
I like it, I need a handy at a glance measure! I tend not to carry tape measures as I don’t tend to keep the fish I catch, wifey would like the odd bass for tea though, so a measure will have to be added.

I like it, I need a handy at a glance measure! I tend not to carry tape measures as I don’t tend to keep the fish I catch, wifey would like the odd bass for tea though, so a measure will have to be added.
I made it for use on a boat , it's a bit cumbersome for carrying around.

Back