• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Solunar Clock.

Neilos

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Something I've even wanting to ask for a while....load of old bollocks or is there something to it?
Went fishing again today and caught nothing.. not a bite even.
At least it was a nice sunset...?

Looked at the solunar clock when I got home and it said it was an average day/time to fish.
Any of you guys/girls use it to plan your fishing?

Attachments

• 20210103_155210.jpg
    20210103_155210.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 3
Something I've even wanting to ask for a while....load of old bollocks or is there something to it?
Went fishing again today and caught nothing.. not a bite even.
At least it was a nice sunset...?

Looked at the solunar clock when I got home and it said it was an average day/time to fish.
Any of you guys/girls use it to plan your fishing?

Are we talking about that website tides4 fishing?

There's the tidal coefficient rating for each day and then there is the major and minor times. The tidal coefficients link to tide size so yes I'd definitely say there is something in that and also most of us have probably noticed after a few sessions at a place that certain species tends to be noticeable at different times during a tide. It would be interesting if anyone has compared the bite times to the minor and major times during the day. Maybe someone has done it off here and can share what they have found out.

Are we talking about that website tides4 fishing?

There's the tidal coefficient rating for each day and then there is the major and minor times. The tidal coefficients link to tide size so yes I'd definitely say there is something in that and also most of us have probably noticed after a few sessions at a place that certain species tends to be noticeable at different times during a tide. It would be interesting if anyone has compared the bite times to the minor and major times during the day. Maybe someone has done it off here and can share what they have found out.
Too complex I think for a general statement like on tides4fishing. Different species respond differently. Different venue respond differently to different weather conditions and tide sizes as well

tides4fishing is fascinating and I’d get all excited when the rating was”very high” Unfortunately , that never coincided with when I was actually able to go fishing!
I’ve come to the conclusion that all fish are generally hungry and mostly go where the food is. So, for me, it’s working out where the food is during my opportunity.
But, the next time I get the chance to go fishing, I’ll check back on tides4fishing to see if its prediction relates to my success ( or lack of) most likely !
Happy new year all.

I used to look at it but imo if you feel like going fishing go fishing, if you waited for all conditions to line up you would never get out the house, if the the oportunity to go fishing is there then get out and get fishing (y)

I used to look at it but imo if you feel like going fishing go fishing, if you waited for all conditions to line up you would never get out the house, if the the oportunity to go fishing is there then get out and get fishing (y)
If you do that, pick your time first, you then pick your venue to suit tide, conditions, pior weather and time of year/species etc. There is no "one size fits all" prediction algorythm

Probably keeping a detailed diary of fishing trips would be the most useful, with all of that info recorded.
The more complex with more variables the better. Being where you are and fishing the Solway, the past weeks weather as far away as N Yorkshire is relevant. It might not have been raining in D&G but it may have been pouring down in the Eden catchment which I should imagine would affect your fishing, primarily over low

Where I tend to fish on the Sussex Coast, Easterly Winds seem to be rubbish for catching/fishing.

I wouldn’t worry too much about online predictions, however they’re correct in the sense that tide states will affect fishing.

Stating the obvious, I realise, but what I mean is springs/neaps, both will have a big impact on where to fish. I tend to find most marks fish better on one or the other, or indeed about mid way through the tidal cycle.

For me the thought process runs tide-location-conditions-bait and then to a lesser extent, tactics.

I want the first four to be somewhere near correct as much as possible.

Thankfully living on the coast I can run a multitude of options through my head and usually find somewhere to fish in most scenarios.

I appreciate that’s not possible for everyone and indeed sometimes I will just go out to try somewhere even though I know it probably won’t do a lot. And it usually doesn’t, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.

But generally I find if you can get the location, time (and by time I mean tide as well), and conditions (which includes weather/wind direction) right, you’re in with a shout of a better session.

As far as trying new marks, or ones you have little info on, all you can really do is try different options, day, night, neap, spring, flood/ebb and see what works.
Obviously it’s not a quick process unless you can feed into someone else’s knowledge or join them for a trip.

But I would urge anyone to try and target the optimum window as best they can, or try a different spot if the desired location doesn’t have the right tide/conditions etc.
I appreciate most of us have limited time to fish, but whatever window you do have, try and match it to a location that gives the best options for success.

I remember using a push shrimp net at low tide over the sand and surprised the amount of flounders/plaice that were buried as well.

I remember using a push shrimp net at low tide over the sand and surprised the amount of flounders/plaice that were buried as well.
It’s amazing what’s on ‘featureless’ beaches.

Even shallow depressions of a few inches will hold food for fish when the tide floods...

We used to get all sorts in the shrimp net. Loads of little flats and little rays, little weavers and lots of small multi coloured squid or cuttles

It certainly does correlate fairly accurately with my experiences, BUT there are as mentioned in previous posts, other contributory factors which can wipe out any perceived benefit. The wind direction or lack of it, bright sunshine or overcast and tbh that’s about it.
I plan my trips according to tides4fishing as I have a 1000 mile round trip and prefer the bigger tides, as for specific hourly hot spots, these generally coincide with the first of the flood which triggers most of my marks.
There are marks I fish on the drop, which coincidentally are high on the scale, BUT this is localised to one or two only.
So yes it’s a great starting point imo.

Sometimes it's just nice to be on the shingle without overthinking it.
Tight lines

Back