• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sonik SKS 800 surf reel

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi Gents
Any experience with the above reel, seems a good price for what will be an occasional reel rather than first out of my tackle box as I favour multipliers.

If you mean the 8000 reel I haven't got one myself but I saw them on offer on the Uttings website a couple of days ago at 35 quid, so read a couple of reviews and they all seem positive. Veals reviews give it 4.9 out of 5 and there are quite a few reviews too.

In a similar price bracket, I bought a Mitchell Blue Water RZ 8000 last year when I couldn't get a Penn Surfblaster anywhere due to Covid product shortages. Good reel, and Mitchell are owned by the same company as Penn anyway. One here on eBay, but I think I paid a little less for mine at the time.

EDIT: Just spotted it cheaper on amazon, with customer reviews too. £26.99!

Tbh I think any reel in that price bracket has to be considered a disposable item, it’s unlikely to last you years.
But if it’s as you say, for occasional use, then why not?

When I used FS I tended to find that with regular use, a sub £60 or £80 reel lasted on average two years, but then I didn’t consider £30-40 a year to be a bad return for the amount of use it got.
Infrequent use will greatly extend the lifespan so it’s an even better deal.

Cheers Gents I'm torn between buying at the cheap end The Sonik 8000 or middle of the road Daiwa Crosscast surf 35

Cheers Gents I'm torn between buying at the cheap end The Sonik 8000 or middle of the road Daiwa Crosscast surf 35
I don't know how the Diawa compares for sizing with the Sonik, but the eBay listings for the Diawa 35 & 45 say they are a 5000 size reel against the Sonik which is an 8000? May be of relevance to you.

I don't know how the Diawa compares for sizing with the Sonik, but the eBay listings for the Diawa 35 & 45 say they are a 5000 size reel against the Sonik which is an 8000? May be of relevance to you.
Thanks I'm edging towards a slightly smaller reel for better balance on the rod as it will be used on a surf beach for close stuff, as you can see I'm no expert :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

What exactly is the reel going to be used for?
If it's only occasional use and your not bothered about buying new, maybe have a look for a half decent second hand reel?

What exactly is the reel going to be used for?
If it's only occasional use and your not bothered about buying new, maybe have a look for a half decent second hand reel?
Cheers Craig It wont be needed for casting big distances, fishing on surf beach probably no more than 80 meters. I caught a cold with a few second hand gear but I've also had a few bargains.

For that sort of price bracket I think I'd be seriously tempted to look for a decent second hand ree. Ideally something you can go and see in person so you can check it's good condition, always abit of a gamble buying second hand things online when you can only see pictures.
Also, what rod is the reel for? That sonik 8000 on a bass rod would feel abit odd I'd think, bit on a 14ft beach caster it would feel alot nicer.

If your looking for a smaller reel, have you considered the quantum drive? I've got the throttle 50(the older model, also full metal body) that I think is brilliant for the money. The drive is a composite version of the throttle and very cheap for what it is.

Cheers Craig It wont be needed for casting big distances, fishing on surf beach probably no more than 80 meters. I caught a cold with a few second hand gear but I've also had a few bargains.
Haha! As above, I bought that Mitchell because there weren't any Penn Surfblasters available, but a few months later I spotted one on Gumtree that a guy had listed under the wrong category for £30! Only been used once! Bargain of the year.

I went to Basstastic today to look at the Daiwa Crosscast 35 and see the size of it. My mate Has Shimano Aerlex in 7000 and 8000 and the spool and size of the reel generally doesn't look that different, I'm not sure how spool sizes are graded but the Crosscast is much bigger in both spool and frame from a 5000 spinning reel I have.
I wasn't planning it but I ended up fetching the reel home with me lol

Back