• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Southbourne 22/01

Emmcee75

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the title suggests I headed to southbourne Saturday. 20220122_142826.jpg
I fished a new part, for me anyway as I'm normally along the bistro section or east of the bistro. This time I was slightly west of fisherman's walk. I got down around midday as I wanted to walk up to boscombe and basically scout the area. I walked from fisherman's walk to boscombe and back and then walked along the top of the cliff where something in the sea something caught my eye. To start with I thought It was just a weed bed, that was until it started changing shape and moving slowly. Eyes fixed on this dark shape/cloud under the water I started filming it and taking the odd picture. For some reason the video won't upload which is a shame as at one point a fish did break the surface and I have captured it on the short video though only being on my phone as I zoom in it becomes very distorted. Anyone have any ideas on what fish they could have been?
20220122_135715.jpg20220122_135942.jpg20220122_140210.jpg Back to the fishing though and I fished an hour down all the way back up to high and half hour down. It was bites from the off and it was whiting after Whiting after you've guessed it whiting, literally lost count. The highlight of the evening was a double shot , a whiting with a small plaice. At about 10-30pm though it just went dead for me. From getting constant bites to nothing was a head scratch for me. I varied the distances etc but still nothing. I had one more bite as it goes and that was on my rod with a bait for Ray's on. Stayed half hour into the ebb but it was still dead.
20220122_202223.jpg Good to be out as usual and plenty of fish, to start with that is.
Tight lines.

A while back there was a black mass of fish along the shallows that we could see from Boscombe Pier, a friend caught one to see what they were, small school bass, thousands of them.

They certainly shoal in summer up here and do sometimes "breach".
Not every year but sometimes we get big shoals of them off the local pier in January/February.

I remember it more so because idiots used to drop strings of feathers down and boast they were ‘catching’ them.

Don’t know why they’d shoal in winter. Breeding maybe?

Great report Emmcee! Shame you can't upload videos to the site - I think the only option is to set up a Youtube account and post a link.

Given that the majority of the catch was whiting, could the shoal have been whiting?

Back