• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Still finding silver

Action Man

Reaction score
Morning all,

With a seeming break in the weather, or as you might say - a marginal improvement from the freezing temps we have experienced this week, I hatched a plan with Ben (stormtrooper) to fish out local bass mark to see if there are any still about, or if any rays had moved in.

I was first to arrive to fish as soon as the tide came through, and both rods loaded with rag worm were sent out. The wind was fairly strong but coming from behind so I think it put a few more yards on my dodgy casts! Although coming from behind the wind did play havoc with our rod tips, flapping about and seemingly making them look like we were constantly into whiting. Ben had now arrived and didn’t take him too long to find the first fish of the night - a whiting. Not the target fish by any means but duly expected.
About 30 mins before high water, my left hand rod took a decent bite with my gear shooting off uptide. I struck into a great fight and immediately knew I was into a bass. The fiesty number scrapped all the way in, and even attempted another run at the waters edge. I got it onto the beach and it was a respectable 48cm fish. I had intended on returning it (got enough in the freezer) but it started bleeding heavily so took my last one of the year home as the restrictions are now back in. It was a myth to why it was bleeding so heavily, as I had caught it on small size 1 hooks and it was neatly hooked in the side of the mouth.
Anyway, we fished in now with more excitement knowing the bass were here. But to our surprise, that was it for the night, no more fish - not evening whiting! We packed up once the water had disappeared then made the slow hike back to the car being blown all over the place by the wind.
All in all a bit of an odd session, but target species still acquired!
Until next time

Alan

C631F6DD-9C3D-41E5-96B8-20B0FB416F79.jpeg

Nice one still about then after the storm

Well done mate. Yep I’ve had a few that were lip hooked but started bleeding.
I could only assume that originally the hook had been deeper and it had pulled through the fish during the fight?

Restrictions? Meh, if I want one I’ll take it, but I don’t take many in any case.

Nice!!!

Well done mate. Yep I’ve had a few that were lip hooked but started bleeding.
I could only assume that originally the hook had been deeper and it had pulled through the fish during the fight?

Restrictions? Meh, if I want one I’ll take it, but I don’t take many in any case.
I netted one of my smallest koi out of the pond a while back and he started bleeding from the gills quite badly.
I suspect a few very rapid body movements as a result of trying to escape the net were the cause.
I was very careful with him when I had to move him again and no problems.

Well done. It amazes me how you manage to avoid the whiting taking whatever you offer. Excellent catch???

I like to fish f pontoon at Cobbs quay this time of year for flatties and the odd bass do tend to show

Back