• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Stupid stupid stupid boy.

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Arrived to a perfect beach this morning.
Flicked out a fry imitation fly and worked it back through the boiling shoals of bait fish.
Continually felt the fly hitting the shingle sea bed on the retrieve.
Many blunted hooks later I gave up.
Completely forgot to pick up a floating line and tried to fish shallow water with a fast sinking line.
Stupid boy ?
IMG_20210916_064426.jpgIMG_20210916_061616.jpg

That was your chance unless it is staying settled o\/er your side. It might be worth a cast this e\/ening into dusk or e\/en darkness if the baitfish are still about

When i was fly fishing and used fast sinking lines just used to pull in as quick as could if running over shallow water, seemed to be ok.
But get your point about blunting hooks on the shingle.

Even working a fly over sandy beaches will eventually blunt your hook. Number of options here, Clousers dressed correctly will fish hook point upwards make sure most of the material is tied on the bottom of the hook, you can even use plastic eyes if you want a lighter fly. Think cheapo plastic necklaces. Keel hooks, Eagle Claw make a good one, or simply bend a longshank hook about 8mm back from the eye, all the dressing goes on the short straight section by the eye. Also covers the hook point nicely.
What Warbs said buoyant flies like Boobies or Crease flies fished on a short leader will keep you out of trouble.

Back