• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Surf rod for a young boy.

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My son is really getting into his fishing now, and want's a rod for his birthday or xmas (2 days apart!). He's 6 and a little doot.
He's been using my 9ft spinning rod to lob baits and 2-3oz, 20-30yds into the surf, catching schoolie bass flatties and even little rays.
He's hooked!
I tried him with my Imax fr flattie 12'6 and 3oz lead, it was a little too much for him. Too long.

I think I've found him the perfect rod, a Shakespeare Agility MPV 10ft 2-4 oz.
Any opinions or other options would be appreciated. The budget is about the 60-70 £ mark, as whatever I get will be a 1st rod/ stop gap until he'd bigger and can manage something like a bass or light beach rod.
Cheers

My son is really getting into his fishing now, and want's a rod for his birthday or xmas (2 days apart!). He's 6 and a little doot.
He's been using my 9ft spinning rod to lob baits and 2-3oz, 20-30yds into the surf, catching schoolie bass flatties and even little rays.
He's hooked!
I tried him with my Imax fr flattie 12'6 and 3oz lead, it was a little too much for him. Too long.

I think I've found him the perfect rod, a Shakespeare Agility MPV 10ft 2-4 oz.
Any opinions or other options would be appreciated. The budget is about the 60-70 £ mark, as whatever I get will be a 1st rod/ stop gap until he'd bigger and can manage something like a bass or light beach rod.
Cheers
The Shakespeare sounds like a perfect rod , that would have been my first choice , I was going to suggest diaiwa also do a bass rod, not sure the name , but think it's a bit long.

I use a 10 foot Leeda icon feeder rod, handles hard fighting mullet and bass, and have enjoyed using them

We use the Shakespeare agality rods for the daa juniors. Ages 3 to 16 all seem to get on with them.

Wonderful that your lad's keen on fishing. Started taking mine wild camping and fishing at the Mull of Galloway when he was 5.
Had some fantastic times, night fishing, camp fire on 'til 3 in the morning. Brilliant stuff.
He's 17 now and Playstation and driving lessons are the main things!
Hope you enjoy fishing with him as much as I did with my lad. Look forward to your catch reports!

Shakespeare do some great rods for not a lot of money, my lad has been getting into the fishing a little more this year but he started with a Tronixpro Axia rod and reel combo. He started with the 10’ 2-5oz I think it was and for the money it was a fitting outfit to cut his teeth with bait fishing shall we say.

Shakespeare do some great rods for not a lot of money, my lad has been getting into the fishing a little more this year but he started with a Tronixpro Axia rod and reel combo. He started with the 10’ 2-5oz I think it was and for the money it was a fitting outfit to cut his teeth with bait fishing shall we say.
Thanks, I'll check those out too.

Is this the original agility mpv or the agility 2 mpv? Been trying to get my hands on three of the original agility mpv for a long time now though they are discontinued unfortunately

Is this the original agility mpv or the agility 2 mpv? Been trying to get my hands on three of the original agility mpv for a long time now though they are discontinued unfortunately
Got a mk2 delivered. I think it'll be perfect. Slim, light, not too long. The reel seat to but cap distance is just about right.
The quality of finish isn't great, and a bit garish but for a 50 quid rod I'd expect that.

Got a mk2 delivered. I think it'll be perfect. Slim, light, not too long. The reel seat to but cap distance is just about right.
The quality of finish isn't great, and a bit garish but for a 50 quid rod I'd expect that.
Nice one where did you get them for 50 quid?

Back