• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Swanage 19th June

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Trying again for a mackerel to add to the species list.
It's never usually a problem in June but this year is a strange one.
Weather and tide were wrong for float fishing so I thought I'd try a pop up to present the gar strip on a size 2 about 4 feet from the bottom. There was not long to wait for a bite, the rod arching over is a fair bite indicator. First of the year for me and No. 21 for the species list.

Others fishing caught wrasse, tompot blenny , pollack and and black bream.

Yeah weird with the macs usally a given down here now but myself and others chouldt find one on pop ups on Friday hopefully they will show up this week well done on yours bud ?

Well done on another species pal, I’ve started seeing gulls working over whitebait shoals just off shore, hopefully it won’t be too much longer before the mackerel start turning up in numbers.

That's before the super trawlers wipe them out
I don't know about up your way, but not seen any Supertrawlers down off the South & South West coast for a few months, probably because they've had everything worth having over the winter.

According to the skipper I was out with last week he Reckons there's been 2 up here in the north east beginning of last month they still haven't shown up in any numbers yet 14 boats out 4 macks caught

It might be coincidence that the supertrawlers turn up fishing in the Channel when the weather is too bad for any inspectors to board due to 'health and safety reasons'.
Or not.

Back