• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Swanage Pier 16th June

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I decided on a day leisurely float fishing on Swanage Pier.

I mentioned the fact to Goateeblank to see if he would be joining me but a screw in his posh campervan was more important,

it was in the tyre apparently.

Surely there will be a Mackerel today?

swanage16june.jpg

Well, yes, there was for a mate who turned up and caught one within minutes, he's local and fishes regularly, it was his first of the year.
It was the only one of the day despite several very competent local anglers trying for one.

There were a few Sand Eels showing and my small sabikis provided some for live bait, usually a killer here but although I had the float zoom under a couple of times and the rod arched over another time, nothing was hooked. It surprises me that a Sand Eel can be pulled enough to show a big bite but remain on the hook, seemingly untouched and no worse for the experience.

The tides at Swanage are strange, today there was hardly any flow to the water, it just seemed to mooch about and do not much at all, it's better when there's flow to stream the float away from the pier

I managed one school Bass to a float fished Sand Eel, No. 18 for the species hunt, so not a wasted day fishing wise. .

Others caught the usual Wrasse, Sand Smelt and Spider Crabs, other than that, late in the day a Black Bream was caught, a decent size, typically just before packing up time.

Have you tried going around the headland, near to the RNLI station, in a quite Evening.
Usually with a lure for the bass???

Have you tried going around the headland, near to the RNLI station, in a quite Evening.
Usually with a lure for the bass???

Peveril Point, very popular with lure anglers, that's too energetic by far for me at my age.
A tackle shop owner told me that a customer had lost £84 of lures in a session there, that was years ago too. I think I would have packed up early.
Sometimes see fly fishermen out on the pipe. The area around Swanage is where Mike Ladle used to fish, see his book online http://www.mikeladle.com/

Back