• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tan Y Bwlch Aberystwyth

richtic

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Very short session as the weed was ridiculous. Me and middle son had an experiment he fished sandeel, squid and mackerel and I fished carp baits krill and squid, we finished equal on Whiting having 5 each but I had a dogfish aswell plus my whiting were bigger, cant really say it was a good experiment as we only managed to fish for about an hour and a half before we got weeded out, shame cus conditions looked great and the size of whiting was good, had 2 really nice ones.
IMG-20201215-WA0000.jpg

20201215_152602.jpg

20201215_212012.jpg

Great report Rich and really interesting results. Like you say, hard to draw conclusions from such a short session but fascinating to hear that there wasn't much between the two bait selections. Maybe we will be able to keep this going over the next twelve months or so to get some proper comparisons?

Very nice whiting by the way.

Always wanted to try using fishmeal boilies..in the sea..but never actually had the nerve..well played sir.. ?
I have heard of plenty of attempts n the past. Most have failed miserably. It's probably going to be down to the additives more than the fishmeal I would have thought

The experiment is more for finding out whether there is an alternative to catch but in a cleaner way so alot easier to take a bait on your travels where ever you go without the need for struggling to keep bait fresh or frozen when away, there is no doubt there is no contest when it comes to fresh sea baits, but I did not have to re bait once last night, all fish were caught on the original set up where as my son had to re bait everytime. Just be nice to carry a rod in the car with a few selected baits for the odd quick session.

The experiment is more for finding out whether there is an alternative to catch but in a cleaner way so alot easier to take a bait on your travels where ever you go without the need for struggling to keep bait fresh or frozen when away, there is no doubt there is no contest when it comes to fresh sea baits, but I did not have to re bait once last night, all fish were caught on the original set up where as my son had to re bait everytime. Just be nice to carry a rod in the car with a few selected baits for the odd quick session.
Were you dipping them or spraying them between casts or anything

I have heard of plenty of attempts n the past. Most have failed miserably. It's probably going to be down to the additives more than the fishmeal I would have thought
I would agree, all baits had been soaked for 2 weeks in shellfish oil which really holds its scent. I was surprised at the amount of weed on Tany last night as it's always been quite clean even after a blow, I have had weed before but fishable, last night was impossible ?

Were you dipping them or spraying them between casts or anything
I had got some dips with me but didnt have to, there was obviously alot of whiting infront of us last night and as you know they will eat anything in their path, sounds silly but I was hoping for a quieter session to see if they work, that's why I dont think last night was a good test.

I had got some dips with me but didnt have to, there was obviously alot of whiting infront of us last night and as you know they will eat anything in their path, sounds silly but I was hoping for a quieter session to see if they work, that's why I dont think last night was a good test.
Fair point that. There is going to be a lot of competition when they are like that so they are snapping at anything. Still though it gives a bit of hope. Definitely worth having another go

Well done on getting out and catching a few fish. Not surprised about the weed. You've been lucky if you've not been weeded there before.
I dont remember having as much weed as last night, never had that problem when I've been there with you but then I guess you were there hell of alot compared to me and would of told us not to bother if you knew weed was bad ?

Some years ago I experimented using plain drilled Halibut pellets , threaded up a trace and onto a 4/0, three at a time.. this was in the Mersey , and caught a shedload of Whitings, some big ones too, so I know that this type of bait works, its just a confidence thing that needs to be “got over”.
Despite catching on the Hali Pellets I have not tried them again, daft thing is I would probably have the same results,but would be wanting a Cod instead of a Whiting.

I think it was Richard Walker who once said..... “A fish does not know anything is not edible until it has tried it “
If the above is true, and I dont see any reason to disbelieve it , then within reason anything works, and it only needs to work the one time, when a fish takes a fancy to it. If you try something and it works as I did in the Mersey, then it should work practically anywhere I would think.

Dave

Worse are the large deposits of weed which build up at the far south end and then get picked up by the incoming tide and carried along the beach in a northerly direction. The beach can look clean when you get there and then an hour or two into the new tide it suddenly becomes unfishable. Time to move.

Back