• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Terminal tackle

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It appears conc's not impressed with pulley rigs so got me wondering what are your ' go to rigs' for shore fishing...pros and cons required for research purposes..
No animals were hurt in the making of this thread !

Asking for a friend....O6cLcNr9HD6yk.gif

pulley
up n over

thats ya lot
never had any issues ref hook ups etc with either

and i havnt used something as ridiculous as flappers since my days flatty bashing on the south coast 25 yrs ago
if, and a big if im down south and fancy a crack at the spikey silver sea rats, it would be a 4 ft running ledger with half a macky strapped to a pair of big fk off hooks n lobbed a couple of rod lengths out

Depends what I’m after. I use bait capsules (DVices) for the vast majority of my fishing, as I’m usually after something big enough to eat. One or two hooks, usually 3/0 circles stuck in a squid or mackerel fillet.

Other rigs include flappers, which will catch everything out there, you just need to chose what you’re after and use the right size hooks and baits. Also clipped rigs, rarely more than two hooks, as I’m usually after fish that are a long way out ie. plaice on chesil.

pulley
up n over

thats ya lot
never had any issues ref hook ups etc with either

and i havnt used something as ridiculous as flappers since my days flatty bashing on the south coast 25 yrs ago
if, and a big if im down south and fancy a crack at the spikey silver sea rats, it would be a 4 ft running ledger with half a macky strapped to a pair of big fk off hooks n lobbed a couple of rod lengths out
Nowt wrong with flattie bashing mate. There is not much finer than a plate of fat little autumn dab

Fixed clipped paternoster, either single or pennel hooks, from 2/0 to 6/0. Better than pulley imho.
One up one down clipped for smaller hooks.
Running ledger with long trace for close in bass.
Pulley rigs are easy to tie, but best on rough ground.

Single or pennel hook fixed pat clipped down, or a loop rig with single hooks to size of bait used .
For bass in the surf usually a simple running ledger with a plain lead so it rolls around.
Not keen on pulleys , but some of the recent developments of the lined loop that the line slides through may make it a bit more effective . But then only on rough ground or cliff marks . Not tried one yet so the jury is out on that one.
Simple flappers for flattie bashing close in .
Dave

Rough ground, pulley rig (single hook) or up and over (single hook) both with rotten bottoms.
Beach fishing, up and over (single hook) or two hook clipped.

80% clipped down paternoster made with telephone wire stops that will slide under pressure

20% up and over

I'm fishing over clean to 'light rubble' ground with 6/0 viking pennels loaded with big worm baits trying to target bass and codling and avoid/delay the inevitable nuisances!

For general fishing, with lug for bait, or “prospecting” as I call it, looking to see what’s out there, I’ll use a 2 hook clipped down rig with 1/0 hooks, this is my go to rig for my boy too. If I’m targeting bass specifically, then it would be a running ledger with a pennel consisting of 3/0 Viking patterns. Bait would be something large like a mackerel side or big ole squid. Aiming for cod, it would be a pulley rig with 2/0 pennel and lots of lugworm. At the moment, 90% of my shore fishing has been the clipped down rigs, baited with fresh lug as I’m happy enough just catching whatever is nosing along the foreshore. With a streamlined rig, I can fish it anywhere from the gutter 20yrds out to as far as I can chuck it.

I’ve had loads of bass on pulley rigs and use them on the beach quite a lot.
I realise it’s not what they’re designed for but they’re quick and easy to tie with minimum components, the way I do it.
Had plenty of rays on them too.

Also use a very basic up and over that acts as a bolt rig and doesn’t cast far with half a bluey, but doesn’t need to on a surf beach.
If you’re casting beyond 40-50 yards on our surf beaches you’ve cast over the fish.
Quite often, even less than that.

Outside of that it’s pulleys for rocks, or flappers or two hook clipped downs for the smaller stuff.

What you will find is there’s an awful lot of bullshit written where rigs are concerned. I blame Sea Angler magazine.

John Holden once wrote that just because a rig looks good on your living room carpet, that doesn’t mean that’s what it looks like on the seabed.

Simplicity is the key.

Pulleys for me too, simply for ease of fishing. Pennel variety in the winter when searching for the elusive cod. I have pretty rubbish eyesight now but find I can clip down my pulley rig without putting my glasses on. With our flat sandy, shallow beaches distance is generally important so a solid clip down is required.
In the summer when fishing for Bass, waist deep in The Wash I use a running ledger on very light tackle.

Simple running paternoster for bass. Double clipped down paternoster for pin whiting, all I ever catch, up and over Pennel for larger fish baits for catching pins two at a time :(

I must say, I do find it strange this preoccupation with running legers for bass but hey ho.......
They work well enough but I find they tangle a lot in the surf so I don’t use them much.
Plus I like something solid the bass can hit against and hopefully hook itself.
On our beaches we tend to get one good hit and you either hit it and catch a fish, or no fish.

For the bigger stuff, I tend to find its one or two good bites a night, so never far from the rods.

What you will find is there’s an awful lot of bullshit written where rigs are concerned. I blame Sea Angler magazine.

John Holden once wrote that just because a rig looks good on your living room carpet, that doesn’t mean that’s what it looks like on the seabed.

Simplicity is the key.
Very true mate, it’s a disease that’s truly infected carp fishing, you would think they are uncatchable unless you spend £50 on the latest spinner/boomed link double flipping hair extender rig… it’s a marketing tool, unless your rig is made up like a Christmas tree, you’ll struggle. Obviously, the right bait, in the right place on an appropriate rig will catch the fish. Location and bait is the key, a fancy pants rig with £50 worth of bling and accessories won’t catch a fish in empty water, but a fresh bait on a simple rig presented under the nose of a fish will.

Back