• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Terminal tackle

I think location and/of bait is far far more important than rigs but then I'm pretty restrictive about what I want to catch and keep local with my bait fishing so don't have the range of ground or species or long term experiences that many of you folk do. It's an interesting topic and as a confirmed tinkerer and tackle hound I'm liking this thread and the inputs and experiences of all :cool:

I fished a match at Abbotsbury many moons back, when Pulley rigs seemed to be the new thing. A lot of the lads fishing, me included were using pulleys and whilst we did catch, the top 3 people in the match were using fixed paternoster and had far more fish. (Mostly dogs). I had a chat with the winner in the car park and he explained to me that there’s not enough resistance on a pulley whereby the fixed rig resulted in more fish hooking themselves.
The only time I use pulleys on clean ground is for hounds and only use the trident tackle pulley bead as the line goes thru in a a figue of 8 the more of an angle to the bead the fish pulls the line the more tension the bead puts on the line ( does that make sense ??‍♀️) anyhow really like em ??

I think location and/of bait is far far more important than rigs but then I'm pretty restrictive about what I want to catch and keep local with my bait fishing so don't have the range of ground or species or long term experiences that many of you folk do. It's an interesting topic and as a confirmed tinkerer and tackle hound I'm liking this thread and the inputs and experiences of all :cool:
Spoke to a couple of top match guys and asked him wot the most important area of anglering was ie casting tackle rigs etc he said the number 1 aspect of a successful angler is the best bait possible that’s why they peeps who go that extra distance to aquire the freshest bait generally ( not always ) but generally catch the most fish

Spoke to a couple of top match guys and asked him wot the most important area of anglering was ie casting tackle rigs etc he said the number 1 aspect of a successful angler is the best bait possible that’s why they peeps who go that extra distance to aquire the freshest bait generally ( not always ) but generally catch the most fish
Away from the match scene though, location, tide, time etc are the most important. You can ha\/e the best bait in the world but if there are no fish there..........

Away from the match scene though, location, tide, time etc are the most important. You can ha\/e the best bait in the world but if there are no fish there..........
Yes i can fish certain marks i fish all within half a mile, and each fishes (catching) different on times of tide.

I’m now going full circle. ?
At times the type of rig has made a massive difference for me. E.g. Fishing Hurst Castle in the Solent, the depth of water at your feet can change massively with the tides/storms. One summer I was going there for Bream, and the water was about 30ft deep only 15 feet out. I wasn’t getting many knocks fishing just off the bottom ( line was almost vertical pointing down from rod tip it was that deep) so I made up a rig about 10ft + long, with maybe 5 paternoster coming off the main trace every couple of feet. I was soon into the Bream but only on the top hooks. So in that scenario the rig was key. ?

I’m now going full circle. ?
At times the type of rig has made a massive difference for me. E.g. Fishing Hurst Castle in the Solent, the depth of water at your feet can change massively with the tides/storms. One summer I was going there for Bream, and the water was about 30ft deep only 15 feet out. I wasn’t getting many knocks fishing just off the bottom ( line was almost vertical pointing down from rod tip it was that deep) so I made up a rig about 10ft + long, with maybe 5 paternoster coming off the main trace every couple of feet. I was soon into the Bream but only on the top hooks. So in that scenario the rig was key. ?
like using a pop up will often get you a fish or different species of fish. which otherwise you'd not catch

The only time I use pulleys on clean ground is for hounds and only use the trident tackle pulley bead as the line goes thru in a a figue of 8 the more of an angle to the bead the fish pulls the line the more tension the bead puts on the line ( does that make sense ??‍♀️) anyhow really like em ??
I’ll look at them ?

Yep good bait is essential in my book but also where you fish it - and I don't mean general areas but specific areas within your chosen mark at specific states of tide. Hot spots can be really quite small - we've identified one we call the 'pool table' that's a plateau of stoney ground about the size and shape of an American 9ball table/ snooker table. It fishes best in certain conditions and states of tide. 20 or so minutes either side of its 'window' and it's rare to get a bite from it and we've identified other spots to cast to before moving several hundred yards to another position. We've been over it several times in the boat to survey it and it stands out like an oasis in otherwise flat featureless expanse. That's what I mean - right bait, right location, right time in the right conditions.
Match anglers fish different areas, will get pegged in non roving matches, fish to Penn points etc and must catch at all costs to frame/win etc. Obviously great bait helps this. I'm not fishing for bits - I'm actively trying to target the fish I want (bass then cod) throughout the seasons and am more 'shit or bust' in my approach. I don't mind blanking and would rather blank than 'scratch'. We are all different and thsee differences are interesting to me and its always good to hear of other people's experiences in other ares and with other circumstances may be whether that location, mark, species, bait/lures, tackle etc etc ? None of us can possibly know it all. Though some eejits think they do:LOL::sleep::D

Last edited:
These are my usual rigs:pulley rig single hook,clip up or clip down single hook ,one up one down on a two hook rig,may use a 2 hook clip up,or both hooks clip down

I use two hooks..on separate foot long hooklinks..with a leader in the middle and a big weight at the bottom. I don't know what it's called.

for big targets .- pulley or running up and over.
for scratching 2/3 hook flappers , or sometimes clipped.

Back