• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The AT Tuna announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, take 5% away from 100% leaves 95% alive. I don’t see that as decimating the species. Any lose is sad, but even pin whiting or pout die needlessly if they don’t go back well. Are they less important to the chain and eco system?
Decimation means one in ten so ob\/iously not. There are far , far more pin whiting and pout than BFT's. To compare them is farcical and says a lot

Yeah what’s with the V thing? It can’t be a typo - is it like some Masonic thing?

WE were yes. You were talking about 1 in 10 decimation which harks back to the days of the Romans killing one in ten of a tribe, thus classed as decimation.
It's like trying to talk to four year olds who need to hold hands to get a bit of confidence

It's like trying to talk to four year olds who need to hold hands to get a bit of confidence
I really don’t think anyone needs to build any confidence to talk to you? Do you rate yourself so highly then? What is special of you?

Just remind me, how are you conserving the tuna by putting it through all that stress and not knowing the survival rates just to tag it?
The data provided by the angling tagging boats will be used to see if a tuna fishery is viable and it won't be a sport fishing fishery! Cornish tuna steaks anyone???

Well, take 5% away from 100% leaves 95% alive. I don’t see that as decimating the species. Any lose is sad, but even pin whiting or pout die needlessly if they don’t go back well. Are they less important to the chain and eco system?
You just don't get it do you!

The idea is for conservation is it not?

So how is killing them that?

o_O:unsure:Lets hope none of you are seriously trying to catch tuna!!!(n)(n)(n)
Hmmm, if the last 4 years are an indicator, then off the English Riviera coastline it seems that there are more Tuna than sharks, and it has meant that our shark gear has had to be beefed a little up due to by-catches.
However, everybody is entitlied to their own opinion, but please don't ram it down my throat.

Most of the shark fishermen are seasoned in big fish anglers and understand how to handle them with care. On my boat NO sharks or Tuna are ever boated, they are allowed to carefully recover and released at the side of the boat. We generally fish for big porbeagles, and the first run from a big porgie or a medium sized BFT is quite similar to begin with, but soon becomes quite obvious exactly what specie has been hooked, and then the necessary action to bring the fight to the boat quickly is taken.

We don't target BFT, they seem to target our baits due to the high competition within the quite large shoals, and they dont seem listen when I politely ask them to go away ?

Last edited:
You just don't get it do you!

The idea is for conservation is it not?

So how is killing them that?
I do get it Mr Preacher. Tagging is to gather info on how best to conserve a species and learn more about them. It’s essential to their survival. Yes unfortunately a couple don’t go back well, but the Vast majority DO!
Now tuck your neck back in and jump off your soap box. If I didn’t give a toss then I’d be out there on my own boat catching them on purpose and then making a YouTube video about it and pretend that I was after sharks.
Fish locker anybody??

Can we at least keep this on topic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back