• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales THE NOVICE V THE EXPERT ON A SOUTH GOWER BEACH.

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
This whole trip had a big question mark hanging over it from the off :rolleyes: Owing to some fishing commitments of their own my bait supplier had to deliver 1.5lb of quality lug worm on Saturday. Really annoyed with myself that by Monday morning it had turned to a mushy pile :mad: Just didn't account for the heat wave and forgot about them to a degree. Lesson certainly learned £20 down the tubes :eek: Bit the bullet and headed to the tackle shop early Monday morning and managed to replenish our supply of worms and picked up a few fresh peelers as well.I also chucked in some frozen razors , mackerel , sand eel and squid in the bait box . As I told Graham this beach can throw up lots of different species . More on that later .;)
As we headed to the Gower , traffic was pretty much as expected, lots heading away from the beaches. The car park for this venue is on private land so wasn't surprised that on arrival the gate was manned and although it was getting on for 6 pm he still charged us the £3 the all day rate and then he reminded us that the gate closes at 10pm sharp which was not only a surprise but a bummer as HW was 11pm :( The car parks were still crowded but having made the effort to get there we were determined to find a spot to fish amongst, the sand castles , sun bathers, swimmers , jet skis :eek: paddle boarders multitude of dog walkers oh and a random type of beach cricket along with some noisy little kids motorbike zooming along the beach. :rolleyes: To be totally honest I confessed to Graham that I had definitely got this one wrong, along with the grockles the water was very murky, flat as a witch's tit and a lot of weed showing along the water's edge :cry: Anyway if your bait ain't in the water you ain't going to catch anything so we set up two rods each with various rigs and bait selections. Nothing happened for the first hour apart from numerous questions from other beach users :rolleyes: You all know the type. Must admit I was very polite and answered the questions positively. Not so sure how Graham got on during a fairly long conversation with a gentleman for the Indian sub-continent !
Eventually I noticed Graham was reeling in with a half decent bend in his rod , wandered over just as the fish was showing in the shallows ," what you got mate?" " Flattie I think " Wrong , flat it certainly was but certainly not a flounder . 1.5 lbs of prime sole was well hooked on his size 3/0 pennel rig baited with lug worm . " Well done mate that's a cracking fish and ideal size for eating " Fish was eventually unhooked bashed on the head and popped in the bag. I'd never caught a sole of this beach but knew they did turn up occasionally. Re-vitalised I changed rigs and concentrated harder on the rod tops. A short time later a shout alerted me that the Novice was in again . Lot more action in his rod tip this time and he eventually reeled a small hound of about 4-5lbs 1622534085529.jpg bait was a couple of the fresh peelers I'd got in the morning. Pictures taken , as this was another different species anf his granddaughter is very excited when he shows her pictures of the " shark " he caught:D I'm getting a little bit peeved now as my rod tops failed to show any action despite regular bait and rig changes . Even put on some large fishy type baits hoping that I could at least attract a passing dog fish :unsure: Before it was time to pack up he landed another new species for him, a decent dab hooked on lug tipped with a tiny bit of mackerel.
So against all the odds , he came good with 3 decent fish and 3 new species . He was buzzing on the drive home and I'm left wondering what the fuck is he doing that I ain't . :(
All things considered it wasn't a bad way to end the bank holiday weekend but I know we won't be heading there again until the autumn .

Great write-up Voodoo ?
Now admittedly I'm no expert so I could be talking complete mince.! Throwing away your initial batch of lug could have been a mistake. I'm sure I read an article that said ripe sticky lug was a killer bait for Dabs and Flounder.

Great write-up Voodoo ?
Now admittedly I'm no expert so I could be talking complete mince.! Throwing away your initial batch of lug could have been a mistake. I'm sure I read an article that said ripe sticky lug was a killer bait for Dabs and Flounder.
Only works with proper Black Lug as far as I know . Blow lug just go to a smelly mush. I did take them to the beach and dropped them in to act as ground bait , didn't make any difference though .

Nice one! For Graham ?

I’m guessing Graham won’t be going on any more fishing trips with you? ?????
he will be . I'm going to get him to tie me some rigs and bait them up . It's what I did for him when he first started .

Back