• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

They’re Still Around … (and it serves me right!)

Wobbler72

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I’d intended to take the boat for a run down the coast this morning to see whether the Bass were still about. However, after a good meal and a tiny bit too much wine last night, I woke, thought “Sod it”, and went back to sleep ☺️.

I got up a little late to a reproachful look from the dog. After feeding her and downing a couple of coffees, I eventually got my ar$e in gear, joined the missus and took the dog for a walk along the beach ……… together with a rod and bag of lures.

There were no real signs of life and I wasn’t expecting much, but after a dozen or so casts my shallow diver got bumped and then stopped by something. It’s pretty shallow ground with the odd Boulder and patch of weed around. So it was more out of instinct than confidence that I lifted the rod and gave it a tug. Then the “something” started taking a little line ?. Whe-heey a fish!

The fight wasn’t super-dynamic, it was more belligerent. It just didn’t want to come in (I was the same when I was a kid). It stayed low and ran steadily up and down parallel with the shore. But with each turn it made I gained line. After a minute or two it was all over. A nice Bass of 3-4lbs. That woke me up!

I quickly got it unhooked and missus took a photo of the magnificent specimen …… and a fish ?

307EA09F-105D-460D-BB01-DDDC772B0D46.jpeg

I guess it proves they’re still about ………….. I just wish I’d taken the boat out now!

Tight lines ?

Kev.

Nice report & photo Kev - lovely Bass! If you'd gone out in the boat, you would have probably blanked! ??

Nice report & photo Kev - lovely Bass! If you'd gone out in the boat, you would have probably blanked! ??

.. or crashed! I was pretty groggy ?

Cracking bit of opportunistic angling (y)Unusual wound to the operculum? Seal damage perhaps?

I noticed that. No idea what could have caused it. It was hooked in the mouth, so I don’t think it was anything I did.

Hopefully it will still live a long and successful life. I’ve certainly seen fish with far worse injuries, particularly in Shetland where the odd Cod comes up missing pectoral fins or with big scars on the belly (we assume caused by the many Monkfish there).

Nice, well done!

Not dinner then? ?

Nice bass and good report. I'm afraid it would have been in my freezer if I had caught it though.

I’m not a big fan of Bass to eat. I rarely keep one for the table. Besides, I’ve still got half a chest freezer full of pristine Cod and Haddock to get through from a trip to Shetland in the summer :)

I’m not a big fan of Bass to eat. I rarely keep one for the table. Besides, I’ve still got half a chest freezer full of pristine Cod and Haddock to get through from a trip to Shetland in the summer :)
Ah, understand completely now! Cod and Haddock would win my vote every time too!

Nice fish.

But yet again we are all different, i would have kept it.
I love bass and many more sea fish, that is one of the main reasons i fish.
As an aside i do not like Bream yet i love a bag of £4 alaskan pollak from farm foods,we are different.

Back