• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Thresher from the shore!!

StuBeard

Reaction score
Just seen on Sea Angler fb page about some guys having a successful trip on the Anglesey catching rays from some well known rock marks where they say they hooked a Thresher! Has anyone heard of one from the shore before?

No but is this the mythical beast that has been collecting an aweful amount of tackle, to wear as jewellery from all the angler's that have had some thing huge spool them
I’ve had big Tope spool me especially with a big tide flow, drag tight and a burnt thumb ? but to say it was a Thresher means they must have seen it, it’s not the first thing that comes to mind!

I’ve had big Tope spool me especially with a big tide flow, drag tight and a burnt thumb ? but to say it was a Thresher means they must have seen it, it’s not the first thing that comes to mind!
That must have hurt a bit, having a burn thumb. Omg that must have been exciting.

Now that really would be an awesome catch.

Oh to have had a go pro filming in at the time!

Heard from the guy, confirmed Thresher, went airborne twice before making off like an unstoppable train, only on ray gear so it didn’t last long ?
Did he say what it picked up. Surely not a ray bait on the bottom?

Did he say what it picked up. Surely not a ray bait on the bottom?
They were getting problems with large macs picking up their ray baits, we had the same a few weeks ago so they think the shark hit a hooked Mac

Fished a rock mark near Trefor North Wales some years ago catching nice sized smoothounds. Guy who I was fishing with hooked another, started to retrieve it toward the drop net went it went mad, looking down the rocks you could see it tee boned by a much larger shark never knew what it was but a fair sized fish to attack a double figured smut.

No but is this the mythical beast that has been collecting an aweful amount of tackle, to wear as jewellery from all the angler's that have had some thing huge spool them
Im guessing there are no seals in Anglesey right...

Can't see any reason why sharks should not be in range of shore anglers. Bloke in Ireland caught a number of porbeagles that way years ago and there were photographs. Only a matter of time until somebody hooks a big tuna on a lure off somewhere like Chesil, that probably wont end well.

I remember reading that report of that guy having a thresher on for a while before it snapped him off. Luckily he got to see it breach and could identify it. I've heard of threshers caught overseas from the shore before now in places where there are shed loads of sharks but not in the UK. 2 lads once hooked a porgie and got it close in but were unable to land it due to it's size and the nature of the rocks they were on. I did once hear of anglers on the Amlwch charter boat the Kerry Kim seeing a thresher leap out of the water years ago and another tale of a shark having a go at a tope that was being reeled in by an angler on the Kerry Kim. This was the bite mark:

Tope bitten 2.jpg

Shark hookups or captures are not that common in the area, even off the charter boats of North Wales. I think I have only seen a handful of porgies reported by boats over all the times I've been reading the angling reports, which is over a decade now, but I've not heard of a North Wales boat catching any other species apart from tope and the odd porgie, not in recent years anyway.

There's been a few instances of people being spooled from the shore by an unknown beast but they have never seen it so the jury is still out on that. I myself once had a young, but still massive seal take a conger I'd hooked once at night. It tore line off like you wouldn't believe, even with my tightened up drag it was wrenching line off. Nearly pulled me in. It wasn't until right near the edge that the seal bobbed it's head up that I actually got to see it was a seal. I reckon quite a few of these getting spooled encounters are down to seals that stay under water, or people don't see because it's at night. Maybe there was a capture of a thresher or mako, etc caught by a charter boat in North Wales. Be great to hear about it if there was.

Last edited:
Back