• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Thresher from the shore!!

Can't see any reason why sharks should not be in range of shore anglers. Bloke in Ireland caught a number of porbeagles that way years ago and there were photographs. Only a matter of time until somebody hooks a big tuna on a lure off somewhere like Chesil, that probably wont end well.
A big tuna hooked on a lure from the shore: this has already happened to a bass angler in Cornwall. Tuna have been reported just yards from the shore in Start Bay in Devon.
A friend of a friend fishing among tuna a few miles off Plymouth last autumn had a tuna take a mackerel he was reeling in, but was quickly spooled.
And I had an incident fishing the Whiting Grounds off Plymouth with a two-up, one-down rig. It was bombing towards the bottom with a 10oz lead when suddenly in mid-water everything went slack and I retrieved the 60lb trace minus the lead and bottom two hooks. It had been cleanly cut through. Whatever fish was must have really been travelling, as the rig was dropping at full speed. PH

They must still be catchable in the same area.

I bet a good few anglers have tried between now and Jack Shine's captures. Someone shared a video on facebook recently where Alan Yates is rock fishing at Ballyreen in Clare and he talks a little about it. Here's the video and the part is from 5:05 to 6:29:

Last edited:
Old boy i know was fishing chesil years back think was chesil cove end said it went quiet on mackerel etc wondered why then looked down and there was a large Shark running across in front of him.
That end when tides in it's deep right in front of you.
They will be anywhere theres decent amount of food or blood/agitations in water

A mate of mine once saw a big thresher jumping clear of the water, while he was fishing on a charter boat of of Amlwch, so they definitely swim off Anglesey.

Back