• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tonight

Yes that's what I meant mate, I know they are hard at times and is an art to get them flying.

Wow that is some collection though, really nice
I think there are about 12 reels of varying size & type sculling around, plus a few really old antique ones somewhere in the loft!

Time for more coffee then better get organised to throw a bit line line on this wee beastie!

Mitchell RZ 9000.jpg

I think there's one in the loft a little like this: (about 3" diameter)

Old Brass reel.jpg

Last edited:
I think there are about 12 reels of varying size & type sculling around, plus a few really old antique ones somewhere in the loft!

Time for more coffee then better get organised to throw a bit line line on this wee beastie!

View attachment 586

I think there's one in the loft a litle like this:

View attachment 587
They are lovely mate, that's a reel ? Antique

I assume you mean a multiplier reel Lord Muki? The answer is no - not for shore fishing. I've got a lovely little USA baitcasting reel that I acquired, and I tried it on a Lure Rod, but got a Bird's nest every other cast. I'm the same with Multipliers - just no good with them. I've got 2 small ones with level wind which I have used for boat fishing, and one without that I inherited from my Father, and it resembles the winch on the front of a boat trailer - it must be about 5" in diameter! Same with Braid - just can't get on with it. I spooled my last new reel up with 25Lb Braid, and I was getting wind knots every other cast halfway between the Rod tip & end tackle. Tried all sorts of remedies, but no change, so back to Mono.
Stick to Crab Lines far easier for you.:)

View attachment 586

View attachment 587
Center pins probably worth more than you?
Poor fixed spools are often the issues with braid cause line twist etc

Braid is banned on the boat unless we are lrf dangling! Anyone remember the old dacron and wire line???

Don't remember that. Was it a Boat thing? Bought some ASSO ultracast yesterday - going to throw that at the new reel later & see how that goes!

View attachment 586

View attachment 587
Ah, you won the Mag 4 competition then? Well done!

Braid is banned on the boat unless we are lrf dangling! Anyone remember the old dacron and wire line???

Why ? .......... kin'ell, the pixies are real dinosaurs :ROFLMAO: ............ I bet you still use solid glass rods as well .............

All my reels are load with 30lb braid apart from the 4 big fin-nor's which have 80lb braid ..............

Without braid, I wouldn't be able to slow jig over the wrecks or feel those tiny bites when gilling ............... also I can fish in 200ft with 8oz of lead.

With mono, there is about 3ft of stretch when you are fishing at 200ft .....................

The only thing I have to do is be mindful to keep the braid away from the tubes when playing a fish or snagged, because it will cut through ribber like a cheese wire .........:cautious:

Sorry mike, I have been reading the whole thread,
Was going to put up a report ,but seems its been taken over
firstly I take your question as one to get people's thoughts, with out your question there is a huge amount of info in there. Granted it's over run, but it's great info, not people knocking each other.

If it was me , I would have opened a proper thread to do my report any way .

Which I hope you do, as I was looking forward to seeing how you got on.

Sorry again , and tight lines

Was going to put up a report ,but seems its been taken over
Please do post a fresh report thread Mike?

It’s kind of the nature of forums that once the main topic is exhausted things wander on to other subjects and a bit of banter.

People tend not to do that on report threads, or at least, not as much, unless they know each other...

Back