• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tough start

StaffsAngler

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the thread title indicated, today proved the lack of sport currently gracing the north wales shore line, fishing two hours into high tide with nothing more than one decent bite to show for it. It seems local shops no longer stock any fresh bait which is a shame so pumping my own tomorrow may prove to give me a small advantage! A couple next to me managed to land a small dab, consolation prize being able to actually see something landed! Previous years the coast is scattered with dead fry, chased ashore by everything I usually aim to catch..... this year sees clean shingle, a sure indication as to the lack of predators in shore! Frustratingly I could see a small fishing boat perhaps 400 yards out lifting Mack up. Contrasting conditions today with the sea being like a millpond but the sun beating down on it also! Keen eyes on the water and I never saw a jump, swirl or stir out there today! Such a shame! Maybe tomorrow moving over the other side of the peninsula might prove some improved luck! Tight lines guys!

I can’t complain! I’ve had some very productive years before now. I think it becomes more dis heartening when you struggle to even entice the staples of the sea. I aim to try a few rock marks this week hoping to find that deep water a little more.

Beach angling can be very frustrating at times, in the 48 years i have been beach fishing, i think i have blanked more times than i have caught, but i enjoy it just as much, just being on a beach does it for me.

I am sure your luck will change soon.

Ian.

Cheers gents, couldn’t agree more! There is no place quite like it! I’m really looking forward to the winter, I’ve not yet graced the water with a bait in the winter so I’m keen to get around a little and target some winter species for the first time. I’ll need all the help, advice and tips going ?

Good luck for the rest of your week away and keep us all posted how things go.
I'll be reading with interest as I may be over on Anglesey fishing next week for a few days.

Good luck for the rest of your week away and keep us all posted how things go.
I'll be reading with interest as I may be over on Anglesey fishing next week for a few days.
Well Craig, and others reading, the sport is poor! I’ve managed to fit two days into one review here. Wednesday saw me head over to Nefyn, and if nothing else the scenery is perhaps the best on the peninsula. The fishing however, hard! And made hard more by the dozen seals perusing the rocks endlessly awaiting a free meal delivered by yours truly! I failed to deliver anything of the sort and so the seals went hungry if left to me! In truth I only hit a spinner out a few times as the wife and dog came along and access to most marks isn’t family friendly.

Today I hit an old favourite mark of mine, renowned for producing good bass and mackerel. The mackerel still missing but the bass... well let’s just say the polarised sunnies revealed a group of maybe 7-10 decent sized bass casually hunting a flooded rock mark filling up on small white bait fish! I tried and tried and tried, using up most of my arsenal of spinners in the process! But i today I couldn’t get a take! As disappointed as I am it was also really good to see some fish around an old mark for me!

I’ve heard tales of years like this coming around due to the over fishing off shore by the commercial vessels, I don’t know if any of you guys have heard or know similar? I think this may well be the quietest I’ve seen north wales in a very very long time! I mean after all it’s the king of the dogfish and I’ve yet to even see one of those! I think if anything, concentrating your energy on plugging for bass would no doubt produce fish but putting a bait out is proving very very ineffective!

Tight lines gents! ??

Been twice this week ,first was in the Humber 2 flatty,s , a eel , and a small whiting. Today i went to Easington on the Holderness coast one doggy and there was 20 other anglers there , didn,t see any other fish come out . At least i caught some thing which was more the my friend who i was with who on both days had nothing so i really should be grateful . Lets hope the sport picks up in winter.

Been twice this week ,first was in the Humber 2 flatty,s , a eel , and a small whiting. Today i went to Easington on the Holderness coast one doggy and there was 20 other anglers there , didn,t see any other fish come out . At least i caught some thing which was more the my friend who i was with who on both days had nothing so i really should be grateful . Lets hope the sport picks up in winter.
Some of the best angling I’ve had had been up and around Easington and Kilnsea! Great spot to fish and an abundance of fresh lug to be dug! Such a shame to hear it’s suffering there too! My next port of call was the north east! I’ve never fished the shore in winter and it’s something I aim to check off the list this year! I’ll be needing some pointers boys as I’ve been reading that big tides and rough weather is what’s needed to get those winter cod? How true this is I have no clue!

What I tried to say in my last post was keep on fishing it can't get any worse ,had to write this twice as phone is playing up

Thanks for the update. Shame the fishing isn't going to plan for at the minute for you. Hopefully things pick up for you.

Well Craig, and others reading, the sport is poor! I’ve managed to fit two days into one review here. Wednesday saw me head over to Nefyn, and if nothing else the scenery is perhaps the best on the peninsula. The fishing however, hard! And made hard more by the dozen seals perusing the rocks endlessly awaiting a free meal delivered by yours truly! I failed to deliver anything of the sort and so the seals went hungry if left to me! In truth I only hit a spinner out a few times as the wife and dog came along and access to most marks isn’t family friendly.

Today I hit an old favourite mark of mine, renowned for producing good bass and mackerel. The mackerel still missing but the bass... well let’s just say the polarised sunnies revealed a group of maybe 7-10 decent sized bass casually hunting a flooded rock mark filling up on small white bait fish! I tried and tried and tried, using up most of my arsenal of spinners in the process! But i today I couldn’t get a take! As disappointed as I am it was also really good to see some fish around an old mark for me!

I’ve heard tales of years like this coming around due to the over fishing off shore by the commercial vessels, I don’t know if any of you guys have heard or know similar? I think this may well be the quietest I’ve seen north wales in a very very long time! I mean after all it’s the king of the dogfish and I’ve yet to even see one of those! I think if anything, concentrating your energy on plugging for bass would no doubt produce fish but putting a bait out is proving very very ineffective!

Tight lines gents! ??
Have you tried the golf course at porth Dinllaen ?

Back