• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Transducer question.

Seabob

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
@GPSguru or others with knowledge, how much clearer image would I get upgrading the standard transducer on the Garmin Striker 4 to the GT8HW (150-240 kHz 250w) wide angle? The standard transducer is 77-200 kHz. Some stuff I've read suggests it would be a noticeable improvement but I've not seen a Striker 4 with this set up first hand.

Before anyone posts "just but a better fishfinder mate", I'm not in the market for changing and happy to keep what I have.

It depends on whether you know what you are looking at !

Yes, it will show more detail, especially if you change some settings to get the maximum benefit from the transducer capabilities.

The Garmin site shows that it is compatible but will require an adaptor lead.

@GPSguru Thanks for the reply, I see that the GT8 and GT15 are 8 pin and the unit is a 4 - an adapter is required as you say.

Suppose I was interested in the increased frequency range over the standard supplied transducer (which is 10 KHz). The GT8 has a range of 85 kHz. Would that make a big difference when trying to locate target and bait fish? Just wondering if the image would be a lot clearer. I mostly do inshore fishing because it's not a big boat.

Yes, you will see a difference, but it depends on how much of a difference you are looking for.

TBH, most transducers will see shoals of baitfish, like Mack, scad, and even sand eels, however, to see individual fish arches, then you need much larger single fish.

This is a screen grab from the panoptix, you can see a small shoal of Joey Mack about 55ft in front of the boat at a depth of 15 - 20ft

26NOV20_1120_00.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you will see a difference, but it depends on how much of a difference you are looking for.

TBH, most transducers will see shoals of baitfish, like Mack, scad, and even sand eels, however, to see individual fish arches, then you need much larger single fish.

This is a screen grab from the panoptix, you can see a small shoal of Joey Mack about 55ft in front of the boat at a depth of 15 - 20ft

View attachment 24335
Not to mention the huge Conger eel at 25-30 feet

Back