• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Trap fishing

If I catch a ornamental gold fish or koi from a wild pond or lake can I legally take it home?
The simple answer is no.

There are several by-laws you might be breaking but basically it comes down to two things.

The first is you will be committing theft. The fish in the lake or pond belong to someone, usually the land owner but occasionally the water may be rented out to someone or a club and they could have stocked the fish at some point.

The second reason is that there are laws controlling the removal of fish from waters in England and Wales. Trap or net capture is slightly different to rod and line, but both methods require permission to do so, issued by the Environment Agency, who can also issue advice on rules governing fish removal. Doing so without permission can lead to court and large fines, and as I have already said, possibly criminal conviction.

You what ?? ? leave it out mate they are in their 'wild natural ' environment... at least what they've known as that anyway for a while...
if you want goldfish and koi go to the pet shop.

.you could be right flappy,it wouldn't surprise me if he is !!!!!

Give the guy a break chaps. He has come on and asked a question. He hasn't said he is going to actually take fish, but even if he was considering it, then it might be to put in his own pond given that he mentioned goldfish and koi.

Given his level of English, I very much doubt that he is Eastern European, besides which, I wouldn't think for one minute that someone from Eastern Europe would bother asking if they were allowed to take a fish if they planned to do so.

Given his screen name, I think Taiidan is much more likely a fan of Homeworld.

Last edited:
Give the guy a break chaps. He has come on and asked a question. He hasn't said he is going to actually take fish, but even if he was considering it, then it might be to put in his own pond given that he mentioned goldfish and koi.

Given his level of English, I very much doubt that he is Eastern European, besides which, I wouldn't think for one minute that someone from Eastern Europe would bother asking if they were allowed to take a fish if they planned to do so.

Given his screen name, I think Taiidan is much more likely a fan of Homeworld.
Yep that's where this name comes from and I'm in the uk the only reson I ask is cos I know that goldfish and koi carp is an invasive species and I'm on about on public land or water ways that is owned by any clubs or private land

Yep that's where this name comes from and I'm in the uk the only reson I ask is cos I know that goldfish and koi carp is an invasive species and I'm on about on public land or water ways that is owned by any clubs or private land
It's a popular misconception that common (or public) land has no owner, but actually the land is usually owned by the local council.

As for the fish being invasive species, you may be right, but unfortunately they are still governed by local by-laws and come under the control of the environment agency. If you speak to them (and you are able to get permission from the riparian owner of the lake or pond) you may be able to get a licence to remove the fish, although you would need to demonstrate that you have a suitable venue for relocation.

Just doing it without permission could get you into serious bother.

Just do what you want and stay under the radar! Back in my youth I remember chest freezers of rainbow trout! Lol

Just do what you want and stay under the radar! Back in my youth I remember chest freezers of rainbow trout! Lol

So go right ahead, break local environmental rules and also commit theft as long as you don`t get caught. Real sound advice

I like y
So go right ahead, break local environmental rules and also commit theft as long as you don`t get caught. Real sound advice
My poaching days are gone Stan, too much modern grassing technology these days!!

I like y

My poaching days are gone Stan, too much modern grassing technology these days!!

I was lucky, never had any poaching days, or thieving days, poaching, theft, same in my book so I never had to worry about grasses

The odd bit of fur, feather or fin don't really hurt anyone?

Unless you happen to be the owner of said fur, feather or fin. Sorry, we can agree to disagree I have no time whatsoever for theft (forget calling it poaching, it is theft)
Whilst I do agree with you when it comes to taking fur, feather or fin, I may have to turn a blind eye to c&r poachers.

No matter how you call it,if you take a fish from a 'wild ' pond or lake it's still theft, someone is bound to own the pond,lake
It was something we did when we were young,I've been a poacher, keeper and ghillie so know both sides of things, turned a blind eye to one for the pot

It was something we did when we were young,I've been a poacher, keeper and ghillie so know both sides of things, turned a blind eye to one for the pot
I thought like that till it was pointed out to me that five people each taking "one for the pot" every few days soon adds up and becomes an empty pond.

Back