• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Trident Rotolock

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi guys, bought some Trident terminal tackle when I started sea fishing a year or so ago, and whilst I do like their gear (and it's good value), I have had some problems with Rotolocks not releasing the hook on splashdown. This has happened a number of times and did once again today.

I have had a thought that, as I am using Breakaway Impact leads, the impact shield on the lead could be displacing the water away from the roto which is why it doesn't always open. Any thoughts or similar experiences? I also use Gemini Splashdowns but have never had any issues with them releasing, but they are larger and more expensive!

I am going to try different leads - it's just that I bought a supply of Breakaway impacts thinking I would use the built in bait clip, but have progressed to OTG casting (and where I fish is sandy so you don't lose many leads so I haven't restocked).

Hi guys, bought some Trident terminal tackle when I started sea fishing a year or so ago, and whilst I do like their gear (and it's good value), I have had some problems with Rotolocks not releasing the hook on splashdown. This has happened a number of times and did once again today.

I have had a thought that, as I am using Breakaway Impact leads, the impact shield on the lead could be displacing the water away from the roto which is why it doesn't always open. Any thoughts or similar experiences? I also use Gemini Splashdowns but have never had any issues with them releasing, but they are larger and more expensive!

I am going to try different leads - it's just that I bought a supply of Breakaway impacts thinking I would use the built in bait clip, but have progressed to OTG casting (and where I fish is sandy so you don't lose many leads so I haven't restocked).
The answer may be in the last oaragraph of the above. Sand and rotoclips not a good mix. Try dipping the rig in a bucket of water before you do the rotoclip up.
I have noticed on over braked multipliers the rig can land almost flat in the water this stops a clean release as well.
Same applies to fixed spools and fat lines.

I had trouble with impact shields so stopped using them a few years ago. I don't try to cast to the horizon so no problem for me.

I bought some Trident Tackle terminal bits and pieces and also had a problem with the roto lock things. I found them too chunky and also experienced release problems so I've gone back to using Imps, I rarely get a problem with them.
I do like his terminal clips though, Termalinks I think he calls them.

I bought some Trident Tackle terminal bits and pieces and also had a problem with the roto lock things. I found them too chunky and also experienced release problems so I've gone back to using Imps, I rarely get a problem with them.
I do like his terminal clips though, Termalinks I think he calls them.
Cheers guys, agree that sand may be an issue, although I always make sure it is clean before clipping up.

Imps aren't captive though are they? So wouldn't be any good for off the ground casts?

Agree that the Termalinks are good - just wish they would make a smaller version as they won't fit through the tip ring of my conti rod if ever I do revert to a fixed spool set up.

I use Imps for OTG casting.
It's a matter of keeping everything tight and in line.
My cast is a very rapid thing, bait up and clip down, drop set, rod at an angle that keeps the sinker just above the ground.
Rotate body to casting position, push arms away, up and out to give more rotation, drop my right arm and as the lead touches the ground unwind and give it some welly.

Granted it can be tricky on an uneven or loose surface, I'll often change to the X cast in those situations, Danny Moeskops does alright with it!

The answer may be in the last oaragraph of the above. Sand and rotoclips not a good mix. Try dipping the rig in a bucket of water before you do the rotoclip up.
I have noticed on over braked multipliers the rig can land almost flat in the water this stops a clean release as well.
Same applies to fixed spools and fat lines.
Same with splash downs you must make sure the the clip is free to move, ive a Collapsible bucket that i fill with sea water and after reeling in i dump the full rig in the bucket and then work the splash down up and down so that its free to move

Last edited:
Same with splash downs you must make sure the the clip is free to move, ive a Collapsible bucket that i fill with sea water and after reeling in i dump the full rig in the bucket and then work the splash down up and down so that its free to move
Good idea. I learned from an old fisherman, never go fishing without a bucket & a short length of rope! So handy for rinsing tackle, your hands, placing fish in to recover if you're having trouble extracting the hook, and cleaning fish by the shore if taking them home. ??

I always take a plastic bucket and a decent length of soft nylon rope tied to the handle, then filled with sea water and keeps hands clean after baiting or unhooking fish.

To be fair sand is a prob with all bait clips with moving parts.. I use breakaway impacts and they can clog quite badly at times.

For small hooks and wishbones i use Splashdowns
Use the Rotoclips with larger hooks 2/0 plus and you have to make sure hook is through both sides as with smaller hooks often easy to get point not right through and stuck in inside between outer and tab that flips open it's easy to happen with bait on hook covering things up.

I always take a plastic bucket and a decent length of soft nylon rope tied to the handle, then filled with sea water and keeps hands clean after baiting or unhooking fish.
If I go home with clean hands my Mrs would be highly suspicious.... I am still picking blacks and peeler crab shell out of my fingernails at least 48hrs after a good sesh.

If I go home with clean hands my Mrs would be highly suspicious.... I am still picking blacks and peeler crab shell out of my fingernails at least 48hrs after a good sesh.
I went out with John for a sesh last year using Tackle shop Mackerel for bait. Jeez, did that stuff stink! Wifey washed my Joggers & sweatshirt a number of times on a 60 deg wash, and it took weeks to get rid of the smell.

Back