• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Unjustified expense or worth every penny?

Sorry Rick, I think my initial post wasn't written that well. I already have two of the new Sandstorms, the 14'2" models, and strangely enough, it was because of John Holden that I bought them too. (I had a long chat with him via email and he was really helpful and replied multiple times with tips about which model and length) Although I really like the Sandstorms, I think lockdown has finally driven me mad though, as I have been looking at (and sort of considering) buying a couple of Century Fireblades.

I posted this thread more out of the hope that someone would reply saying that it just wasn't worth it and to stick with the reasonably priced rods, then I could put the crazy idea out of my head.

On a different point, John Holden told me to buy the 14'2" rods and then if I felt they were a bit long to just hacksaw a bit off the butt end to make them shorter! (He said that he does that all the time!) Bloke is a legend though, despite his vandalistic tendencies! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Will

Hiya Will,
Oh well! At least we both already know how good the Sandstorms are.
Have to agree about JH mate, absolute respect for the bloke & he certainly "knows his onions".
Have too agree with a few of the lads as well- unless you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket i'd stick with what you've got.
Re the Fireblades, i've had a few chucks of one- nice rod & casts nicely as well, also a bit more grunt in the tip section but the tip itself is nowhere near as good/nice a fishing tip as the Sandstorms.
Rick?

Sorry Rick, I think my initial post wasn't written that well. I already have two of the new Sandstorms, the 14'2" models, and strangely enough, it was because of John Holden that I bought them too. (I had a long chat with him via email and he was really helpful and replied multiple times with tips about which model and length) Although I really like the Sandstorms, I think lockdown has finally driven me mad though, as I have been looking at (and sort of considering) buying a couple of Century Fireblades.

I posted this thread more out of the hope that someone would reply saying that it just wasn't worth it and to stick with the reasonably priced rods, then I could put the crazy idea out of my head.

On a different point, John Holden told me to buy the 14'2" rods and then if I felt they were a bit long to just hacksaw a bit off the butt end to make them shorter! (He said that he does that all the time!) Bloke is a legend though, despite his vandalistic tendencies! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Will
What sort of areas are you lacking in rods then? is more to the point ie if have rods that cover 6oz odd and happy with them then look at 4-5oz area? where as if rods that are more for lighter fishing and need over 5oz then or feel need more back bone go heavier.
Also ease of transport and your mobility capabilities? Can you lean into a rod ok?
To me Best rods for the Bang that covers most areas and three piece easy to cast yet not a flop stick are the Italcanna Dynamis either FSH(Tad longer and tad lighter action but still will put gear out a long way)or OTG which is heavier action and still a good tip there light three piece easy to get on with £400'ish.
Century TTSMG's seem to float so many's boat

Not tried the Fireguard yet but @Si-fly is abusing himself oops i mean rods often so can give insight on them.

Hiya Will,
Oh well! At least we both already know how good the Sandstorms are.
Have to agree about JH mate, absolute respect for the bloke & he certainly "knows his onions".
Have too agree with a few of the lads as well- unless you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket i'd stick with what you've got.
Re the Fireblades, i've had a few chucks of one- nice rod & casts nicely as well, also a bit more grunt in the tip section but the tip itself is nowhere near as good/nice a fishing tip as the Sandstorms.
Rick?

As a footnote- i should say i had umpteen beachcasters in my armoury at one time but now apart from a 7 piece travel beachcaster i've thinned it out to just 3 pairs.
A pair of 13' 6" Greys Syntras (bought new around 20yrs ago).
A pair of 16' Greys Triplexs.
&
The pair of Sandstorms.
Rick?

What sort of areas are you lacking in rods then? is more to the point ie if have rods that cover 6oz odd and happy with them then look at 4-5oz area? where as if rods that are more for lighter fishing and need over 5oz then or feel need more back bone go heavier.
Also ease of transport and your mobility capabilities? Can you lean into a rod ok?
To me Best rods for the Bang that covers most areas and three piece easy to cast yet not a flop stick are the Italcanna Dynamis either FSH(Tad longer and tad lighter action but still will put gear out a long way)or OTG which is heavier action and still a good tip there light three piece easy to get on with £400'ish.
Century TTSMG's seem to float so many's boat

Not tried the Fireguard yet but @Si-fly is abusing himself oops i mean rods often so can give insight on them.
It's not really down to lack of rods for certain conditions/situations, but more a matter of the Fireblades having little demons that perched on my shoulder to whisper into my ear about how I really needed them! :D :D I think it has gone away now, although I can't guarantee it.

I've had a fair few rods in my short 2 and a half years of fishing. So I am relatively inexperienced and cast otg where I can. I did have a couple of lessons to get where I am. So I'd like to think I can cast otg to a fishing standard where I can reach fish.

Fireblade is a great mixed ground rod, casts superbly with a multiplier I have to say. I will go as far to say that I prefer casting it with a multi than a FS/braid. Just seems creamy to cast, in my case otg where possible, otherwise oht.

But I don't think you will get a huge upgrade from your sandstorms (not that I've tried one). But John Holden did a review of the fireblade within a few months of reviewing the sandstorms. You could always ask him his opinion.
The fireblades are light for big century rods considering their price point (687g mine weighs with reel seat), similar to ttsm Graphex.
But I don't believe the sandstorms are particularly heavy anyway. I fish Severn beach rarely, but often around Clevedon. If you find yourself this way in the near future you are welcome to cast my Fireblade, and my t800 if that takes your fancy.

It's not really down to lack of rods for certain conditions/situations, but more a matter of the Fireblades having little demons that perched on my shoulder to whisper into my ear about how I really needed them! :D :D I think it has gone away now, although I can't guarantee it.
I will admit to looking at the fire blades myself, but it’s just not the right time for me atm! I’ll stick with my imax for now.

I've had a fair few rods in my short 2 and a half years of fishing. So I am relatively inexperienced and cast otg where I can. I did have a couple of lessons to get where I am. So I'd like to think I can cast otg to a fishing standard where I can reach fish.

Fireblade is a great mixed ground rod, casts superbly with a multiplier I have to say. I will go as far to say that I prefer casting it with a multi than a FS/braid. Just seems creamy to cast, in my case otg where possible, otherwise oht.

But I don't think you will get a huge upgrade from your sandstorms (not that I've tried one). But John Holden did a review of the fireblade within a few months of reviewing the sandstorms. You could always ask him his opinion.
The fireblades are light for big century rods considering their price point (687g mine weighs with reel seat), similar to ttsm Graphex.
But I don't believe the sandstorms are particularly heavy anyway. I fish Severn beach rarely, but often around Clevedon. If you find yourself this way in the near future you are welcome to cast my Fireblade, and my t800 if that takes your fancy.
I'd never really thought about rod weight before. I've just stuck one of my Sandstorms on the scales and they are about 820g which I don't suppose is too bad as they are a bit longer than the Fireblades.

Yeah thats more than reasonable mate, I wouldn't get too hung up on weight, it was only a mention as it was something that is immediately noticeable when you pick up a Fireblade.

if you can afford it yes, but a cheaper option will do as good.

I fished with a mate who had no children and both he and his wife worked, he was buying a reel at £250 and i was getting a plastic one for £8

I'm a bad boy when it comes to buying bits of tackle, but mostly lower value items rather than expensive rods & reels. You have to cut your cloth accordingly, and my finances will not allow me to spend a lot of money on a hobby that I'm unable to partake in as often as I would like. I've set myself a budget of £100 max on any item, and some careful shopping has provided me with a decent Conti rod & Penn Surfblaster II for around £90, both of which are adequate.
Providing the gear you have will put a weight & bait where you want it, why spend more? 2 valid points from older threads - 1) The fish don't care what gear you are using, and 2) the most important part of your fishing tackle is quality bait on the end of your hook. If you already have a brace of Sandstorms WIll, put the cash back under the mattress! ??

Will
Yea, you don’t really need them mate.

Severn Beach, pah! You’ll be able to fish for those 1lb codling with a hand line chucked over the side ??‍♂️

Fack all else mind you, and that fish wasn't mine haha. All I've caught there is a codling just over 2lb!

Back