• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Up and over rig?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I am thinking of adding some up and over rigs to my limited collection of rigs and I have noticed they can be tied either fixed or running.

Is there an advantage to either option?

Have both and both tangle at some point also!
have a mixture with pennels in various sizes.Wish bones in various configs. mostly fixed also do some up and overs sort of dropper style but use srt spring up top with like those small gemini snood clips which if buy on own you just twist open to side so line drops out as releases always work! other is the Trident bead.
And have a swivel on rig body with sliding crimp or tubing stoppers to keeps it down to tension snood but adjustable so can tie bodies and hooks etc on beach if like plus when happy snippies are you can retye hooks and just move crimp and back in action!
Once released swivel drops to where set bottom crimp and bead.

Think the running works on some places/tides/Angle fishing while fixed on others

i'd go swi\/el on the rig body , I personally don't think this resistance business is an issue
1 At a reasonable distance in any sort of tide is as easy to pull the lead as the rod tip
2 I don't think sea fish are fussy or finicky in the way oft caught coarse fish are. If they feel resistance they pull harder as they are usually in competition with others

Running legers seem to tangle seem to more in my experience than trapped swi\/els

I use a 5ft hook length with a 4foot rig body for my running ledgers for rays work perfect only time they tangle when real rough then I resort to pulleys anyway orso use them for bass I like the the trident hangover for fixed pats keeps everything tight when casting up and overs definitely worth haveing in your Armoury

Thanka all. I will have a bash at making and fishing both.

I am I correct in thinking that a running ledger would be a wee bit easier to tie as no need for a spring etc to tension it whereas a fixed needs to be fairly neat and accurate?

I am I correct in thinking that a running ledger would be a wee bit easier to tie as no need for a spring etc to tension it whereas a fixed needs to be fairly neat and accurate?
If making a fixed one just don’t actually fix it in place until everything else is in place

If making a fixed one just don’t actually fix it in place until everything else is in place
Made myself a rig board marked it off at feet markings chopped a bit of alloy worktop edge piece across top with slot cut to hold swivel then bit either side at bottom so lead stays on board then can hang up even plus more markings if like?
That way can set rigs up nip crimp with round nose pliers then when all Gucci crimp with crimp pliers

Been creating some new rigs tonight!
Bomber/Up and over hook snood down to splashdown with bottom snood fixed going up and over one of those wire things(small heavier wire coil with a tang on one end sticking out)used upside down so line is held up by it with SRT spring tensioning it and down to splashdown and bottom hook always goes in first then top one i slot in other side so like a loop of bends with shanks either side of splashdown.

Other one is wish bone with cascade swivel on one side so one hook goes to splashdown 2nd hook into cascade so more stream lined

Easy enough to tie as bait clips are adjustable for the most part

What does one of these look like and what would you use them for..?

Back