• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Usual Suspects

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fished Tidemills yesterday evening and was the only one fishing. I did see some fishing lights along Seaford Beach with about 4 others having a go.
Fished the tide up and as it hit the pebbles, knock knock, rod tip bent over and in came a meal sized plaice. Re baited with fresh black lug and a 3oz gripper running ledger. Just as I poured a coffee, the ratchet on my multi screamed, wow must be something decent. Not to be in came a doggy about 1lb 2oz, unhooked and sent him back to grow bigger. About 2hrs before high managed a nice dover sole of just over a 1lb, other rod, tap tap and wound in a spider crab. It fell off on the shingle and legged it back into the surf 1-0 to me for not getting nipped unhooking. Another coffee after rebaiting and casting out around 80yds. All was quiet for about 20 mins then gentle bite on the second rod - not a spider again surely? let the bite progress and lifted the rod, Ah ha in came another Dover Sole, slightly smaller this time so I returned it back.
Ran out of coffee, so as it was getting chilly decided to escape to the car and drove home to clean the fish for dinner tonight.
Sorry no pics as didn't want to get the mobile slimed.
That's all folks, over and out.

Last edited:
Nice one beach

Nice one, a few fish there!

Don’t worry about spiders, they’re the t-rexes of the crab world - if you grip the back of the shell they can’t do shit. Silly little claws too.

However, you may of course manage to spike yourself on the shell itself!

Nice one, a few fish there!

Don’t worry about spiders, they’re the t-rexes of the crab world - if you grip the back of the shell they can’t do shit. Silly little claws too.

However, you may of course manage to spike yourself on the shell itself!
Eat them if they big enough.
Delicious!!

Many thanks for the kind replies/comments guys, appreciated (y)
Regarding Spider crabs, when I was in Canada we used to just eat the claws although I am not a great lover of crabs since back in the 80's I had a bad one and suffered from food poisoning. Just eat fresh caught fish, lobster tails, claws and prawns nowadays.
Must check the river ouse and cuckmere (Sussex) to see if any mullet are about.

Well done Beach.
I havnt had the inclination to go at all yet this year but once the Bass appear at my spot I will be out hopefully bagging up on light tackle and lures.

Back