• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Very very new to this especially fluorocarbon

Pendeenpiscator

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I am getting a spinning rod and reel for Christmas, got most of the stuff needed to start including braid, not too sure if I really need fluorocarbon as a leader. Initially I will only be using about 3 feet as leader(is this long enough for rock fishing?), and am thinking 15lb mono would be ok. It seems a bit of a minefield with some brands of fluorocarbon being too stiff, tricky for knots etc. Any advice?

Thanks for your replies, mainly Wrasse,hoping for bass, going to try accessible rock marks(my age etc), some from a sandy beach,plus the odd harbour wall. The braid I've got is 20lb Spiderwire 4,and Daiwa 4 13lb,.Was going to try both at different times,I've got 2 spools with my reel. Although I would prefer Wrasse and Bass, it will probably be Pollack and Mackerel! I live within sight of the sea luckily ,but the cliffs are extremely steep,so will have to limit my adventures.

I always make sure my leader is a little lighter than my braid for spinning. I use 30lb chap braid and a 20lb fluro leader with an fg knot, the leader has always broken before the braid so far.
I've got 35lb braid and 30lb mono leader on a spinfisher for boat work and it's the same, leader goes first.
I'm not convinced fluro makes any difference at all myself, I've caught with my mono leader when no-one else is with fluro and also seen fluro leaders catch fish at the same time as lighter fluro not catching.

I think it's the constant reference to line stretch that confused me, that's why I went for braid to be able to feel the bottom and hopefully bites. I have mainly fished a local commercial lake, which was great for a while, did a bit of float fishing for Pollack a few years back, caught a few up to 3 or 4 pounds on my coarse tackle. Anyway, probably won't start until the weather gets a bit more settled.

It's an Abu Cardinal 174, I know they're not what they were, but they were well thought of in my youth, the rod is a cheap Shimano XT or XS?

It's an Abu Cardinal 174, I know they're not what they were, but they were well thought of in my youth, the rod is a cheap Shimano XT or XS?
The line lay on the spool is key success with braid, poor line lay and it will be problems. Probably the single biggest issue with braid.

Ah well, not sure how good this one will be, wasn't going to spend the earth until I know if I like it, chose this one due to it's supposedly saltwater design. Never used braid or fluorocarbon, I can be really stupid with shiny reels etc

I've caught plenty of bass with FC, wire, standard mono and straight braid to a lure clip. Personally I ask the question of what connections MUST you have and keep it as strong as possible. I fish wire leaders to braid (via a small power swivel and knot protector) on surface lures over reefs where fish dive for snag cover when hooked. I'll use the stiffness and sinking properties of FC when needed - mostly fly leaders these days. If you want to cast a wind on leader then FG/PR knots and their derivatives are good with a good quality clear mono. If they're properly having it in open water then straight braid to the clip. You can stiffen the last foot or less with waterproof CA superglue if casting into a wind, it really helps at times. I change all knots every session at the very least, and all leaders at the 1st sign of damage that can't be straightened with a gentle but firm tug.

I use cheap braid from Ali express and not had 1 wind knot in 5yrs
Look for Flouro coated not flouro carbon
If you can't get it use amnesia clear
And learn to tie the FG KNOT as said in other post

An fg knot is a very handy knot to learn, very strong and super slim. I use it on all my leaders as I only ever use braid mainline and mono leaders (beach/boat/lure). It's really easy once you've tied a couple and got the hang of it. Took me an afternoon with a spool of old braid and some different bits of mono to learn it.

On another note, the Palomar knot is an incredibly useful one to learn too. It's brilliant for terminal tackle and tying lure direct to braid. It's one of the simplest knots to learn too.

I have saved a few you tube videos of the FG knots, I shall be tying myself up in them on the 25th, meanwhile everyone have a good one:)

Lots of people on here are more experienced with braid,fluro carbon etc and it works for them!!!! But personally I would use twelve pound mono straight through, but I am old-school!!!! Used to.catch boxes of schoolie bass on 40lb line and boat rods/reels!

Same here really, but having never tried any lure fishing, I was swayed by the view that I would need excellent contact with the lure for our Wrasse, as they are very adept at returning quickly to their rocky homes.
Could have wasted my money on braid,not unusual for me. The last time I caught Pollack, it was on 10lb straight through mono, but they aren't as well educated as the Wrasse.

Hi Pendeenpiscator, have you tried putting a braid leader on ?,I would suggest one with a 25 or 30 lb breaking strain mate

Back