• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Vintage Tackle

@The Third Earl might have a clue on the rod. Shakespeare did a lot of red/yellow whipping but I can't remember them using BNHG guides
This is just a guess, but I dont think its a budget rod. When first introduced, Fuji BNHG guides and reel seats were far from cheap.
I did a google search with a picture of the tatty label and Hardy rods were the best match.

This is just a guess, but I dont think its a budget rod. When first introduced, Fuji BNHG guides and reel seats were far from cheap.
I did a google search with a picture of the tatty label and Hardy rods were the best match.
Shakespeare made some reasonably expensive rod as well. I bought a "Legend" reduced from £175 down to £100 around the same time as the Moonrakers were being sold for less than £50

the old label looks very similar in size to the one below

1650651636966.png1650651636966.png

Mystery rod could be a Conoflex?
Hardy Fibatube ive seen looking similar but trouble is many rods back then was custom built rather than factory.
How wide is the Abu? as many are used as field reels!
it looks 6500 size, but ive got plenty of field reels already. I think ill leave this one un molested.

Mystery rod could be a Conoflex?
Hardy Fibatube ive seen looking similar but trouble is many rods back then was custom built rather than factory.
How wide is the Abu? as many are used as field reels!
could be, again, the label (the first bit looks possible)?
1650655020692.png

Obviously not the legend, but the same whippings and reel seat but cheaper guides

Has it got an ally butt?
Glass butt and tip.
Spigot join, male butt, female tip.
Split foam/duplon/eva grip.
30mm Fuji reel seat.
Seems like a stiff blank. Certainly stiffer than my zziplex ptx 2500

Just looked at the faded label again.
Pretty sure I can make out the last few letters. PLEX
I wonder. Could it be an early zziplex?

I thought the later range of Moonrakers were labelled as 'Paul Kerry'? I dont think the earlier ones have any association.
Thats correct, my birthday present from Gerrys of Wimbledon in May 1979 was that very rod!.
There was a cheaper moonraker range that was gingerish,goldish in colour.
That rod sounds like many of the early 80s era.
Looking at the Blank I think it could be an Aiken

Back