• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

warning contains carp/puddle pigs ?

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
so on the 28th one of my clubs announced it would open for night fishing again the following day .. wasn't going to bother but me and a friend decided last minute to go for it and get our stuff ready for the 3 days of sun ... 16c then 20c and Wednesday 22c!!!
so fiddled a few life and work commitments about and packed the bbq and enough supplies for 3 nights fishing and camping .. felt like I was going on holiday even though it's only 45 mins away lol

a lot of sea anglers have the image of carp fishing as a load of people sat round a tiny pond or an over stocked lake with too many swims n no space ..and although there are places like this it's not my idea of fishing .
this venue is around 80 or 90 acres and has depths upto 60 foot and is brackish as has an estuary behind .. also no public access whatsoever so completly relaxing environment .
Screenshot_20210402-101111.png

peregrine falcons live nearby and circle over head every morning .. we also saw an Egyptian goose and an unidentified type of duck that I never seen !!

anyway without too much boring detail the lake was very slow with the fish in the upper layers enjoying the warmth ..and our baits 20 30 foot below on the bottom ...surface fishing impossible because of the ducks..

nothing all day Monday then nice sleep was disturbed by a run at 5am and I landed 1st one of the year at around 15lbs ...
're baited lightly with a couple of small handfuls in catapult fishing a raised platuex about 50 yards out of 20 foot ground surrounded by 40feet
had this shortly after only around 10lbs but lovely scale pattern mirror .Screenshot_20210401-103254.png

im waffling on so basically had another 2 that day including this rare fully scaled mirror carp of 18lbs

Screenshot_20210401-103507.png

then all went slow for around 12 hours till 3am Wednesday morning had this lump at 28lbs

Screenshot_20210401-103033.png

and no.more action after that for over 24 hours untill we left Thursday morning !!

my friend caught 2 to 17lbs and we found out since that we were the only ones to catch anything out of about 15others apart from 1 of 8lbs down the other end lol !!!

lovely to be out with friends again and relax in the sun i have a suntan in March lol.

Last edited:
Nice report although I thought it was the closed season for fresh water fish from mid March until June.

Worthwhile trip chap, haven’t fished for carp for 8 or 9 years now

Is carp with the letter moved about c rap? just jesting ;):ROFLMAO:

Nice report although I thought it was the closed season for fresh water fish from mid March until June.

as valleyboy said most private waters can choose now although only Stillwaters... all running rivers are shut till June 15th .

but some lakes i fish are shut during the traditional close season til June 15th too due to being in sites of significant scientific interest . (sssi)

forgot the Rudd fishing in the evenings as they rose up presented slow sinking breadflake an got these 2 crackers at 1lbs8oz and 2lbs 2oz ... these are serious fish for the species as lot of you will know often thwy don't get to these sizes
it's brackish and they live on a diet of shrimps believe it or not lol

pretty sure one is very old and the light one a lot younger could be a monster with that shape one day although they can get lost as there's at least 40 acres out of bounds to fishing
Screenshot_20210402-181517.png

That fully scaled mirror carp is a beautiful fish.
I'd love one in my pond.

Great report and pictures, nice fully scaled well done.

thanks ... don't go on carp forums even though its the main fishing I do lol bitchy places, too many know it alls even though they don't have a clue usually lol
so thought I'd stick it on me favourite fishing site haha ??

Have you completely changed allegience.Or do you sneek back like me.(y)
im on both w and tsf mate i meant the carp forums or coarse forums or anything to do with Facebook fishing I don't involve with lol
strange as do all fishing but only go on sea forums lol

Back