• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review WARNING TURKANA LEADS

I have to disagree…(not starting this argument again lol) but Chesil is perfect for the leads, plaice etc are one of the main targets for spring/summer from Abbo west wards. Doing yourself out of sales saying that.
no argument here lol - but I know myself that most pleasure anglers will leave a bait in the water a lot longer than match anglers - in that time the leads do get burried at chesil - I've had it happen - the undertow causes this - I will quite willingly sell them to people ..... but like anything there will be problems if they are used for something that they were not designed for - the ones with a plain loop work great in those conditions but I don't sell that many hence I don't stock that many :(

no argument here lol - but I know myself that most pleasure anglers will leave a bait in the water a lot longer than match anglers - in that time the leads do get burried at chesil - I've had it happen - the undertow causes this - I will quite willingly sell them to people ..... but like anything there will be problems if they are used for something that they were not designed for - the ones with a plain loop work great in those conditions but I don't sell that many hence I don't stock that many :(
I've not posted on this thread before now and didn't see any of last night's posts so can't comment, but having read the remaining posts and your reply above, I'm still left with two questions.

1. Are your leads suitable or not for power casting?

and

2. When you say there will be problems when using something they are not designed for, what problems are you referring to, as in a previous post you just said it was a waste of time using a coloured lead on Chesil as it would just get buried? This will probably happen with any type of lead if that is the case but it doesn't cause problems with most leads.

I'm not trying to join any of the disagreements that have already taken place, but am just a bit confused.

I've not posted on this thread before now and didn't see any of last night's posts so can't comment, but having read the remaining posts and your reply above, I'm still left with two questions.

1. Are your leads suitable or not for power casting?

and

2. When you say there will be problems when using something they are not designed for, what problems are you referring to, as in a previous post you just said it was a waste of time using a coloured lead on Chesil as it would just get buried? This will probably happen with any type of lead if that is the case but it doesn't cause problems with most leads.

I'm not trying to join any of the disagreements that have already taken place, but am just a bit confused.
okay - they are primarily a continental lead for use with the lighter conti rods. However I have a few casting lads that use them for practice (as they are easy to see on the casting field) these guys know how to cast and are good at what they do - up to now I haven't had any snap or any complaints...................... generally you wouldn't be pendulum casting a continental rod - so they were not designed for a pendulum cast... they are called continental leads for that reason
The choice is yours I can only tell you what my experience has been .......... to my knowledge (up to now) they haven't failed in a cast with the tournament casters that I have dealt with.
There is no polite way of saying in the wrong hands with a snatchy cast I wouldn't be happy - so I wouldn't be so brave as to say they are fine for power casting ... it depends on the person on the end of the rod to be honest..... if I am not happy with any equipment I use (thats not to say its bad) ) ... I wouldn't use that equipment..................its just the way I am. On the other point - they were not designed to be buried in mud or shingle - the continentals fish clean beaches - no point in having a rubber coated coloured or lumi lead if you are just going to bury it. Generally uncoated NON continental leads have loops not swivels ;)

I hope all of this makes sense? :)

Last edited:
okay - they are primarily a continental lead for use with the lighter conti rods. However I have a few casting lads that use them for practice (as they are easy to see on the casting field) these guys know how to cast and are good at what they do - up to now I haven't had any snap or any complaints...................... generally you wouldn't be pendulum casting a continental rod - so they were not designed for a pendulum cast... they are called continental leads for that reason
The choice is yours I can only tell you what my experience has been .......... to my knowledge (up to now) they haven't failed in a cast with the tournament casters that I have dealt with.
There is no polite way of saying in the wrong hands with a snatchy cast I wouldn't be happy - so I wouldn't be so brave as to say they are fine for power casting ... it depends on the person on the end of the rod to be honest..... if I am not happy with any equipment I use (thats not to say its bad) ) ... I wouldn't use that equipment..................its just the way I am. On the other point - they were not designed to be buried in mud or shingle - the continentals fish clean beaches - no point in having a rubber coated coloured or lumi lead if you are just going to bury it. Generally uncoated NON continental leads have loops not swivels ;)

I hope all of this makes sense? :)
The casting issue aside, as I doubt my casting has enough power to do any damage, lol, although I agree leads can get buried on Chesil if conditions are a bit rough, I’ve used coloured/coated leads down there without any issues.

Generally the idea is to use unwired leads that will move a bit in the current and (hopefully) attract a plaice.
That has worked many times, but a plain lead also does the same thing.
I may even have bought some of yours in the shop on the way to Chesil. I know some were Tronix, some weren’t - I just picked up the colour and weight I wanted without really looking at the brand, I must admit.

The casting issue aside, as I doubt my casting has enough power to do any damage, lol, although I agree leads can get buried on Chesil if conditions are a bit rough, I’ve used coloured/coated leads down there without any issues.

Generally the idea is to use unwired leads that will move a bit in the current and (hopefully) attract a plaice.
That has worked many times, but a plain lead also does the same thing.
I may even have bought some of yours in the shop on the way to Chesil. I know some were Tronix, some weren’t - I just picked up the colour and weight I wanted without really looking at the brand, I must admit.
I too have used them with great success down there .... but i dont powercast and if i loose them because they get buried the only person to blame is me for using a swiveled lead lol - I will willing point this out to anyone wanting them for such venues and then its their choice ......:)

I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds fun.

That's what I'd have if one hit me in the Goolies. :eek: ? Without the K.
Been there. Mate pulled for a break after getting snagged, 2oz lead rocketed out the water like a polaris missile, flew past him and smacked me square in the spuds folding me in half. To add insult to Injury his 1/0 hook whipped round and hooked me in the arse. ??

Back