• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review WARNING TURKANA LEADS

Ever since I bought a 15ft Conti rod, I've heard that they are unsuitable for elaborate casting methods (like a Pendulum) so I only use an overhead thump. If I did get a crack off, hopefully the only way the lead is going is out to sea. Having said that, I wouldn't buy these fancy Leads like Turkana anyway.

I’m a half decent caster and the only swivels I trust are varivas and the power swivels in the yellow pack. Never had them fail. I usually just have a fast link top and bottom, much safer. Seadra swivels from veals look worthy of investigation.

Weights with swivels on are just for a gentle lob or lowering over the side . They used to be anyway . I wouldn't even think about casting them off a beach and haven't seen them for years . They must be making a come back for some reason.

I got an order of various leads from Turkana while back they they "Pestered" me to leave Feedback which i did about the loops (White ones are Brass)and why have some like the buckets that came via Veals have decent swivels(have shrink tube over base)yet later ones from you have the brass ones! and suffer badly when handle by the Royal Fail Olympic Parcel throwing team in training! as get bent which 9 out of 10 will never get straitened so always casting wonky so prone to failing (as brass when bent Being a Mailable metal will suffer fractures in each time bent as hardens/Anneals leading to breaking)
So asked why still using brass when have other types to use which are far better as had some fail myself and had heard others have launched them along beach when casting as swivel top has snapped off!

But no points for correct guess! they never posted reviews or replied either.
Yet there selling substandard items for premium prices and we use decent leaders/clips/swivels/lines and so on to Negate dangers of errant leads taking out anyone along Beach but they fail like something you'd expect from "Hey johnny me love you long time!"
Yet the Irony is the China ones would most likely be better?

Have spoken to Veals about this and said they wasn't aware they been snapping so will be onto it as there name is on them!
Veals do some Green and black ones which are ok.

I do/did have one of those Americano with just a loop come loose inside lead.

So where do you stand if take someone/something out with a lead failing then?
Just for the record I have Never heard about these problems and I can say I NEVER EVER pester anyone for feedback …. Keyboard warriors is all I can see …. The Great Danny Moeskops uses the same Turkana leads ….. strange he never has problems ???? I read stories like this al of the time however I never get any complaints first hand … BITTER PEOPLE!!! The are continental leads for continental style fishing so why would anyone be pendulum casting a conti rod???

Last edited:
Weights with swivels on are just for a gentle lob or lowering over the side . They used to be anyway . I wouldn't even think about casting them off a beach and haven't seen them for years . They must be making a come back for some reason.
They have been used on the continental and international circuits off the beach for years …..
Hi Pete. I've often wondered why they and other glow on dark type leads use a swivel on top of their leads and not a standard loop. There is one brand which have a shrink sleeve over the half the swivel and to me that is shouting corrosion. Luckily these are connected to a decent standard guage loop so I normally snip off the swivels.

Chesil bait and tackle shop sells some wicked little pyramid type glow leads with decent loops - I stock up when I'm down as they are not on their Web site
they are designed for conti rods and conti clips etc the loops are far to big for that type of fishing hence using swivels … why would anyone even consider using our leads in the heavy style of fishing …. Maybe it’s a matter of people not understanding what Continental type fishing is?

They have been used on the continental and international circuits off the beach for years …..

they are designed for conti rods and conti clips etc the loops are far to big for that type of fishing hence using swivels … why would anyone even consider using our leads in the heavy style of fishing …. Maybe it’s a matter of people not understanding what Continental type fishing is?
Hey Karen,

I am Peter the original poster of this thread.

So in my original post at the beginning of this thread I said I was using a Harrison P1 this is in fact a long light British made fishing rod, its not quite a "continental" but its close. The maximum casing weight is around 5oz. The incident where the swivel failed happened and its not the only time that members of this forum have had it happen.

I am not quite sure how you can say.

1) The leads are made for conti fishing and Big Danny can thrash them!. Which one is it?

2) When you sell a lead if it has a weakness and you are aware of this (?) you should let anglers know that they cannot use a rod heavier than a continental rod. I think you have a moral obligation if not a legal obligation to say something at the point of sale.

3) You say "I read stories like this all the time" but never get any direct feedback. Well heres your chance, this discussion is open and in the public domain.

Come and talk to us.

By the way seeing Big Danny smacking your leads 290 yards kind of gave the idea that they could take a proper cast......... I am surprised that in your opinion he should NOT be doing that...... shall I give him a ring or will you?.

You have also labelled me a Keyboard warrior.
a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the internet, typically one who conceals their true identity
My posts about your product are factual non aggressive and drop me a message and I am happy to share with you my contact details, so NO I am not a keyboard warrior by definition.

I have posted on your facebook page so really happy to cut and paste this thread on there if it helps???

Last edited:
Hey Karen,

I am Peter the original poster of this thread.

So in my original post at the beginning of this thread I said I was using a Harrison P1 this is in fact a long light British made fishing rod, its not quite a "continental" but its close. The maximum casing weight is around 5oz. The incident where the swivel failed happened and its not the only time that members of this forum have had it happen.

I am not quite sure how you can say.

1) The leads are made for conti fishing and Big Danny can thrash them!. Which one is it?

2) When you sell a lead if it has a weakness and you are aware of this (?) you should let anglers know that they cannot use a rod heavier than a continental rod. I think you have a moral obligation if not a legal obligation to say something at the point of sale.

3) You say "I read stories like this all the time" but never get any direct feedback. Well heres your chance, this discussion is open and in the public domain.

Come and talk to us.

By the way seeing Big Danny smacking your leads 290 yards kind of gave the idea that they could take a proper cast......... I am surprised that in your opinion he should NOT be doing that...... shall I give him a ring or will you?.

You have also labelled me a Keyboard warrior.
a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the internet, typically one who conceals their true identity
My posts about your product are factual non aggressive and drop me a message and I am happy to share with you my contact details, so NO I am not a keyboard warrior by definition.

I have posted on your facebook page so really happy to cut and paste this thread on there if it helps???
It was a polite way of saying they can take a massive cast by an experienced angler at no point did I say he shouldn’t be using them …. I have searched my emails never one complaint from you in fact I cannot find an order either … if I have a problem with any product out of common courtesy I go back to the person I bought it from …. How can any problems be justified if you are never made away of such??? Just plastering it all over the internet is underhand and to a degree exactly what a keyboard warrior does …. Hides behind his keyboard …. As for ringing Danny I am quite capable of doing that if I feel the need … are you trying to tell me you know him personally … if so don’t bother I am way past being impressed by people name dropping and telling me they are this that and the other lol ?

Last edited:
Just for the record I have Never heard about these problems and I can say INEVER EVER pester anyone for feedback …. Keyboard warriors is all I can see …. The Great Danny Moeskops uses the same Turkana leads ….. strange he never has problems ???? I read stories like this al of the time however I never get any complaints first hand … BITTER PEOPLE!!! The are continental leads for continental style fishing so why would anyone be pendulum casting a conti rod???
Put a decent swivel on so any one with any style can cast them. Or dont put a swivel on the leads at all

Last edited:
Back