• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Well, that went with a bang!

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a couple of relatively poor sessions last week, I hoped that the spring tides would mean an improvement in sport, so I had high expectations for my 2 planned sessions this week ?. The choice of mark was easy and having fished the place a few times recently, I was beginning to build up a picture of exactly when the bass passed through. Considering both the tide times and weather forecast, which was giving thunderstorms on Thursday, I decided that Tuesday and Wednesday would give me the best opportunity to catch a few fish.

Conditions on Tuesday were warm and sunny with a light wind and a calm sea, just how I like it ?, but I didn’t expect much action until mid-way through the flood. As it happened my expectations were spot on, but sadly my first hit of the night was also my last. It was a good one though and after a thoroughly enjoyable scrap, where the fish took like several times, I finally landed a nice fish of 61cm, around the 5.5lb mark ?.
Bass_89_2021 61cm (~5.5lb).jpg

I fished on for another couple of hours after that, but strangely the bass seemed to be a loner and I saw no more signs of life. I wasn’t complaining though, as for the first time since 2018 I’ve caught 2 bass over 5lb in weight in a season, so I was one happy bunny ?.

Next up was Wednesday evening, and with the rain not due until 4am, followed by thunderstorms later on Thursday morning, I was feeling confident of a good night.

Conditions weren’t as nice as they had been on Tuesday, with overcast skies and a brisk breeze blowing along the shore, but this was forecast to ease later. I would also get more shelter as I was pushed onto higher ground by the flooding tide, so things were still looking promising.

Now since the previous night, while updating my diary I happened to noticed a distinct pattern in my recent catches, so distinct in fact that I made a mental note of exactly when I expected the bass to show to the nearest minute. Only time would tell if my theory was correct, but I was feeling very confident.

Despite the crosswind, the water clarity was excellent, and the spring tide pushed me backwards at quite a pace. This was just what I wanted, as it meant the tide would reach the “feeding zone” in double quick time.

The only fly in the ointment was the occasional, and slightly worrying, distant flash in the sky ?, but with no signs of thunder, I surmised that it was a long way off just yet and I was safe to carry on fishing. Not taking anything for granted though, I kept a watchful eye on both the lightning tracker website and the weather radar app on my phone, just in case.

Eventually, after fishing for 3 hours and waiting excitedly for the predicted "hot" window, the bass turned up almost bang on time ?, well at least to within 3 minutes of my predicted time ? and my lure was finally hit. That wasn't the only bang though, and midway through the fight a massive fork of lightning flashed across the sky ⚡, followed shortly after by a crack of thunder ?. Of course, I couldn’t stop half hay through reeling in, so keeping the rod tip as low as possible, I bullied the fish as much as I dared, and I soon landed a nice fish of around the 2.5lb mark in double quick time ?.
Bass_90_2021.jpg

After a very quick snap the fish was released, and my thoughts turned to my own safety.

By counting the delay between the flashes and bangs, I judged that the storms were still some distance away, and going by the weather radar it looked like they might just miss me. There was no guarantee though, and with almost a mile of open ground between me and the car, I didn’t fancy being a high point and a potential target for any high voltage discharges if the lightning should be any closer.

Taking everything into account, I decided to wait it out where I was, so first I laid my rod flat on the ground, I then moved a safe distance away from it and sat down on a flat rock, pulling my knees up to my chest in an attempt to make myself as small a target as possible. Then to the sound of a bass feeding frenzy out in the calm water ?, I spent the next 30 minutes huddled on the shore, while lightning flashed all around and I waited for the storms to pass.

Unfortunately, the storms only got closer until finally, a simultaneous flash and bang directly overhead was followed immediately by a downpour of truly biblical proportions ?. This was my signal to take a chance and make a dash for the car.

20 minutes later, after stopping a couple of times where the landscape offered me some shelter from the worst of the deluge, I was massively relieved to arrive back at the car. I was completely drenched, but thankfully I was in one piece and not scorched in any way ?. Once there, I hurriedly threw my gear and my soaking wet jacket and hoodie in the boot, then I jumped into the sanctuary of the car, typically just as the rain stopped ?.

So once again, the so-called meteorologists had got the forecast ever so slightly wrong and the storms had arrived a whole 11 hours earlier than promised ? but never mind, I survived to tell the tale and my bass numbers are still climbing, with my total now up to 90 for the year, so I can't really complain too much ?.

Well done on the fish mate. Now time for a wee safety tip, rods down the very second you see a flash of lightning even if you think it's a good distance off. Lightning can jump up to 15mls from the actual storm.

Cracking reprot Andy. Well done on the 61, well deserved for the effort you put in.

Nice one Andy. Always nervy when that storm suddenly appears overhead.
I recall once I left it late on a rock mark as it was fishing well, and beat a hasty retreat as it broke overhead.
Halfway down the field there was an almighty bang and a flash right behind me, followed by an overpowering smell of ozone.

Usain Bolt wouldn’t have beaten me down the hill…

Back