• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Wessex rig

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have tied a few wessex rigs and used big American snap swivels for attaching the lead. I used them previously on running ledger rigs with no issues but they are a bit chunky.
I have seen a few different options for attaching the lead, different types of snap swivel, lead link, swivel and fast link.
Anyone use the wessex rig and if so what do you use for attaching the lead?

You could always try a Breakaway pulley bead , not what they're made for but they are good for running legers .
You sort of use it upside down with the line passing through the black bit and the weight clipped on the link .

I have tied a few wessex rigs and used big American snap swivels for attaching the lead. I used them previously on running ledger rigs with no issues but they are a bit chunky.
I have seen a few different options for attaching the lead, different types of snap swivel, lead link, swivel and fast link.
Anyone use the wessex rig and if so what do you use for attaching the lead?
Size 6 swi\/el with a breakaway or similar easy link or small o\/al split. I really wouldn't trust those american snaps

I've been watching a bit of BillyFishing lately. He's a bit of a character! Here's his take on a clipped down Wessex rig:

Just did quick skim watch and he uses a lead link direct on the rig body as the running ledger.
Those Lead links with clips are bleddy handy. I made a very long 2 hook float trace a few weeks ago, with one of those links just below the float so I can clip the bottom hook up for casting. Thought about popping out tonight with it for a dangle, but as usual, expected to cook tea for SWMBO. ??

Those Lead links with clips are bleddy handy. I made a very long 2 hook float trace a few weeks ago, with one of those links just below the float so I can clip the bottom hook up for casting. Thought about popping out tonight with it for a dangle, but as usual, expected to cook tea for SWMBO. ??
That’s not a bad idea actually. The flapping trace is what always gives me tangles

That’s not a bad idea actually. The flapping trace is what always gives me tangles
And I thought it was Geraldine giving you tangles! ??

Back