• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast West Bay 14th June

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I had planned to fish Poole Harbour during the day but thought it would be too hot, changed my plan to fish the evening when it would be cooler. The tides were right for West Bay and on my target list was an eel and a flounder, at one time the harbour was carpeted in them.

How times change, small baits on small hooks got just tiny pollack, a pin whiting, a large whelk and, to my complete surprise, a Grey Gurnard.
The first I've ever caught, or seen.
Caught at the base of the wall on a scrap of stale ragworm on a size 8 hook.

ggurnard.jpg

I was expecting Mackerel to show up near high tide as the light level dropped but although there were baitfish in the water none showed up; once again float fished baits, this time live Sand Eel or tiny Pollack caught on sabikis, got no interest at all.

A pleasant enough evening but a disaster fishing wise if it wasn't for the rare Gurnard, a nice sunset though.

sunset.jpg

I had planned to fish Poole Harbour during the day but thought it would be too hot, changed my plan to fish the evening when it would be cooler. The tides were right for West Bay and on my target list was an eel and a flounder, at one time the harbour was carpeted in them.

How times change, small baits on small hooks got just tiny pollack, a pin whiting, a large whelk and, to my complete surprise, a Grey Gurnard.
The first I've ever caught, or seen.
Caught at the base of the wall on a scrap of stale ragworm on a size 8 hook.

View attachment 10505

I was expecting Mackerel to show up near high tide as the light level dropped but although there were baitfish in the water none showed up; once again float fished baits, this time live Sand Eel or tiny Pollack caught on sabikis, got no interest at all.

A pleasant enough evening but a disaster fishing wise if it wasn't for the rare Gurnard, a nice sunset though.

View attachment 10506
A bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work. Nice gurnard(y)

Nice pics cap we get loads of greys off Seaton Feisty little beggars

Nice pics cap we get loads of greys off Seaton Feisty little beggars
Feisty and spiky, I'm used to handling Tub Gurnard, that one took some subduing to get photos.

I think they generally prefer deeper water than Reds or Tubs so was surprised to see one.

Feisty and spiky, I'm used to handling Tub Gurnard, that one took some subduing to get photos.

I think they generally prefer deeper water than Reds or Tubs so was surprised to see one.
We generally see mostly greys along with good numbers of tubs and reds off Seaton later in the year I haven’t yet managed all 3 in a sesh but it’s on my to do list only other area I know with a chance of this is chisel with orso a chance of a streaked one of my mates at the club had a specimen steaked last year although at the time he thought it was just an ugly red ?strange we get so many at Seaton as it’s not regarded as a deep water mark ??‍♀️

Thats a nice Gurnard to tick off the list, well done on him (y) (y) .

Back