• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Bay: brief LRF session

fiveyardcast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Warning: the following post contains gratuitous images of micro species likely to offend some big rod swingers.

Soon after Saturday's latest 'lockdown' announcement I got a message from my lrf companion Rich Salter asking whether I was free on weds and did I fancy a dangle? At the time we were uncertain whether this might be our last chance for at least a month and so replied to his questions stating that i was and that I did..

The recent weather left us with limited choices and we opted to have look in West Bay harbour, partly because it is fairly local. We were under no illusions that this was likely to be a session to file under: 'Went against our better judgement'.

I arrived late to find West Bay basking in Autumn sunshine with a light, but chilly, northerly breeze. The water in the harbour was like cold tea, topped with debris from the wash down from up-river.

I met Rich on the east arm of the harbour and he cheered me with news of a small pout and a few rattles, but confirmed that success would be hard-earned. I took a moment to take in the surroundings. The low, blinding sun laid a vibrant orange hue on everything, showcasing the famous cliff towering over the beach

20201104_183150.jpg

Scented lures, dropshot and carolina rigs were our best hope and i reminded Rich that i had caught a rockling here in a similarly murky sea a January or 2 ago. I dropped a length of small brown isome into the same hole (Rich was fishing the main river channel) and caught another

20201104_183533.jpg

Pleased to swerve the blank with a fairly rare lure caught shore rockling I pointed the hole in the rocks out to Rich whilst telling him what he already knew: that it helps to let the movement of the sea take the lure right into all the nooks and cracks. Im pretty sure you need to virtually force feed these fish as they generally prefer to let the food come to them. Rich promptly caught another one - a few times bigger than mine, and which would have been his first, and his 30th species of the year - but dropped it on the wind up the sea wall. He carried on in the same hole and, a few casts later, caught yet another rockling which looked even bigger than the previous one. I had anticipated this and prepared the long handled landing net which i held in place for him to guide his prize into safe capture. Rich will probably feature this in one of his future Youtube uploads.

We carried on for another hour or so and eventually ran out of reasons to stay, despite catching the odd pout from the channel. On our way to our cars we muttered a few of the usual clichès about how it had been "better than being at home/ work/ watching tv", etc and i left him to go for a lockdown eve pint at my local

20201104_183351.jpg

Love the close up photos mate, makes them look bigger than they are? Well done though, shame there wasn't more around , but at least you where out there in the lovely settings that you found yourself in .

Tight lines for you next tiddler session ?

Back