• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Weymouth June 9th

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Another trip to the amusingly named Pleasure Pier at Weymouth to meet up with Goateeblank.
As usual the weather man was a bit optimistic with the sun and gentle breeze prediction.

pleasure pier.jpg

Goatee had arrived early in his vehicular gin palace and been fishing unsuccessfully on the north side , we soon moved to the end and slightly deeper water and started catching, tiny hooks and baits were the order of the day to target the minis that live there. Goateeblank had brought some maddies he had dug, asking "are these any good as bait ?", they were, one on a tiny hook is just the job for minis.

I had used a diamond file to sharpen the hooks on a set of size 16 Sabikis to improve chances of hooking some fish from the shoals of baitfish that swim around the pier. We were catching Wrasse, Corkwing and Ballan regularly from the bottom along with a couple of Black Gobies, a Tompot , a Goldsinney Wrasse, a Dragonet and a Scorpion , the Sabikis gave us tiny Pollack, Sand Smelt and Sand Eels and later, Herring and Pout.

We shared the use of my rod set up with the Sabikis and a suitable weight, the weight has to be matched to the action of the rod to give the right frequency of 'jiggle' for these tiny fish. If any of you are wanting amusement then lend Goateeblank a rod with the reel 'on the wrong side'; it's like watching a child do the rub the tummy and pat the head thing.

He did persevere and manage a first with a Sandeel and dozens of Sand Smelt and a few Pollack.

We put the fish into a bucket of water to recuperate before putting them back and had quite an aquarium of different species. At one time we had two tiny pollack in the bucket and Goatee added a Scorpion, a little while later there was only one visible pollack, obviously the Scorpion was not too stressed for being in the bucket.
I managed to add Pollack, Black Goby, Dragonet, Goldsinney Wrasse and Pout to my list ; overall we caught twelve species between us from the few yards at the end of the pier.

Once again there was absolutely no interest in a float fished bait, mackerel and gar are scarce this year

minis.

I had used a diamond file to sharpen the hooks on a set of size 16 Sabikis to improve chances of hooking some fish from the shoals of baitfish that swim around the pier. We were catching Wrasse, Corkwing and Ballan regularly from the bottom along with a couple of Black Gobies
Great report! Very enjoyable read!

Sounds a really enjoyable day out, and plenty of fish to keep you busy, well done!

If anyone is thinking of fishing Weymouth on this Sunday, 13th June, be aware that most of the town will be blocked off for a half marathon.

half marathon route.jpg

great session there, nice amount a species you both had (y) (y)

Vehicular gin palace, moi!

Reel one side, reel the other, still catching.

Back