• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What are you?

Using bait on the big rods from the shore what are you?

• Fixed spool user only

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Multiplier only

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Likes a bit of both Bi-reelist dependant on mood and venue?

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters
Been a multi user for years, my boy uses fixed spools, over the marks I fish, (mainly clean sand and light broken ground) there’s not a lot to separate the two types of reels to be honest, it’s my personal preference to use multis.

I mainly fish over clean beaches as well, I can pick and choose between multi’s or fixed spool and have no real favourite. Pike fishing with bait and heavy lure work I use multipliers with fixed spool for lighter stuff. In the hands of someone like me I see no real difference in casting difference on the beach.

Fixed spool on the shore. Though I have used a multi for rough ground conger/huss.

Ive used modern fixed spool reels for over 30 years now after being a multi user . Would never go back to the multi. There,s still a lot of elitism in fishing especially with people who use multi,s calling fixed spool reels mangles and egg whisk,s to try and belittle them . There,s no advantage now in the multi not one over a good fixed spool and i,m talking about shore fishing and not grass casting. At the end of the day its personal preference and judging by where i fish on a beaches on the Holderness coast you hardly ever see a multiView attachment 16584

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Like Ollie I'm Bi....
Fixed spool for anything shore or freshwater but I have a LHW Okuma multi that I use on the rare occasions that I get out on a boat. I also have an ancient wood+brass Scarborough reel, does that make me a deviant.? ?

I'm died in the wool old fashioned multiplier and quality mono on this when bait fishing from local shores. I've tried many modern FS set ups with braid but they do not suit me for the conditions I beachcast bait in which in itself is reducing as the seasons go by and other methods and boats become my main draw. I've got all the British beachcasters and mk1 525s I'm likely to ever need (plus too many spares o_O I really need a clearance sale). I well remember the snobbery of M vs FS in olden times when the available FS were really far less refined than their modern equivalents but equally I now see the dwindling of skills like the pendulum cast and reel fettling. It's become all about ease and scratching for mini species which to me is lame and smacks a bit of desperation - but each to their own eh!
Lure and boat fishing now that's a different story....

Fixed spool all the way, although I have got a couple of level wind Multi's that could be pressed into use if I was going boat fishing.

We were mooching about in West Bay, Dorset some years ago, and I got a bee in my head about having a look in the tackle shops for a beachcaster to replace the ancient one my Father had given me, 43 years ago now! There was a nice looking cheap 12ft rod on special offer, but matey in the shop said "for an extra £10, I'll chuck in a multiplier reel as well". Seemed like a deal to me so bought both.
Could never get on with the reel but the rod was good - still use it. The reel never seemed to cast very well and loads of Birds nests. It was only in later years that I found out that level wind multipliers are no good for shore fishing.

SInce then, All my reels have been fixed spool. Tried Braid for beach casting but got endless wind knots. Gave up with that. It's only recently that I've tried the same Braid on a spinning reel and it works great.

We were mooching about in West Bay,
Went in West Bay Angling a few years ago to buy a couple of rods and reels.Took quite a fancy to a pair of Vercelli Enygma Taktika rods(Tats Chicken Rods)and a pair of Shimanos.Picked the rod up off the display stand to have a look at it and the owner said "Please don't do that sir"I looked at him put it back and said you've just lost a 600.00 pound sale and walked out.He didn't look too pleased.

Last edited:
Like Ollie I'm Bi....
Fixed spool for anything shore or freshwater but I have a LHW Okuma multi that I use on the rare occasions that I get out on a boat. I also have an ancient wood+brass Scarborough reel, does that make me a deviant.? ?
Not a deviant at all!! Proper 60lb line,solid glass broomstick and a two pound lead! Makes you someone old school who doesn't fek about!!! Winch them up and blow there swim bladders!

Ha, I’m bi

Like Ollie I'm Bi....
As if you both needed to tell us!

I'm not sure what I am as I often fish two rods with a multi on one rod and a FS on the second. I find casting distance with a multi easier simply because it is a lot less bulky. If I am fishing a big bait really close in then I find a FS far easier to just lob out than a multi, as there is no chance of an over-run.

Back