• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What are you?

Using bait on the big rods from the shore what are you?

• Fixed spool user only

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Multiplier only

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Likes a bit of both Bi-reelist dependant on mood and venue?

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters
I guess this was prompted by our conversation last night?
I voted for both but use multis for almost all my beach fishing.
I’ll state at the outset my casting isn’t brilliant (although I’m trying to learn the pendulum) but for most of my local marks, distance isn’t necessary.
I can easily put a bait further with a FS.

But… I just find multis so much nicer to fish with. It feels more direct to me, better contact with the fish, easy to adjust drag, ratchet setting, easy to pick up the tripod and move back up the beach.
And when the ratchet screams off when a good hound takes it, there’s nothing like it.
Certainly beats the ‘rod bouncing off down the shingle’ comments I read so often on forums! Always always set a drag, even if you have to unscrew it on the spool, if that’s the only way the reel does it.

I do use FS for feathering. Learned to feather with one and trying to do it with a multi just feels totally wrong.
I also use them exclusively for estuary flattie fishing where you’re mostly just lobbing baits a few yards.
And I use them for float fishing, or mullet fishing on the rare occasions I do it.

I certainly don’t ‘look down’ on anyone who uses a FS, so many do, after all and it’s about catching fish, not what you use.

Just for myself, I’ve used both a lot and far far prefer a multi on my beachcaster than a FS.
But if the choice was FS or not go fishing, I’d definitely use the FS!
Yep, interesting to find out what folks use.

For me it is FS because that is what I used in freshwater from getting my first fishing kit from woolworths many, many moons ago.

I do have a couple of multipliers, one an old mitchell I was given for boat use and another one a small Abu lhw aimed at spinning for salmon. I have tried it on a number of occassions over the time I have had it but just can't get on with it. If I was harling from a boat on the River Tay it would be the reel to use, but bank fishing my local river it isn't.
I do agree with the engineering and feel of a multiplier though they are a very satisfying piece of kit.

Last edited:
That's interesting Mr Fish! When we used to feather lots of mackerel/herring for 'dubby trail' fishing using a constant stream of fresh chunks cut and flicked off the bait board along with a mincer (that fed a drain pipe dripper to create a mass slick
bellow the surface hoping to avoid too much gull action and put the trail where we wanted it) that not only created a trail for the predators but a strong source that often also kept the macs close to the boat, I'd get called Mr Greedy when using a large centrepin with 18 crushed barb feathers, but very often they all came on board or had very few drop-offs. I remain convinced fast retrieve reels like FS and hi speed M's rip out many hooked bait fish.
Sorry, feathering off the shore I mean. I never use a FS on a boat!

Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of casting specials last night, arriving tomorrow ?
Nice reels! The only one small problem with them is the reel foot is a little small and won’t tighten up in some reel seats. It’s only a problem if you have the new type Fuji reel seat, but they only put that type on a couple of rods, such as the new fireblades! ?

Nice reels! The only one small problem with them is the reel foot is a little small and won’t tighten up in some reel seats. It’s only a problem if you have the new type Fuji reel seat, but they only put that type on a couple of rods, such as the new fireblades! ?
Providing you’re not pulling my leg I’ll come up with something to alleviate the problem

Providing you’re not pulling my leg I’ll come up with something to alleviate the problem
Nah, don’t mess about with them. Just keep the reels and I’ll swap you the two fireblades for something out of my garage! ?

both mult and fixed spool just depends on how i feel on the day , but i have to admit i do love the feeling of a good cast on the fixed spool when you release the line and it zings off the finger which you don’t get off a multi , multis feel dead on a cast

Last edited:
both mult and fixed spool just depends on how i feel on the day , but i have to admit i do love the feeling of a good cast on the fixed spool when you release the line and it zings off the finger which you don’t get off a multi , multis feel dead on a cast
Last time I was out with with my mate I gave him a shot of my unabomber, which had an okuma 8k on it, 30lb chinese 8 strand with an 80lb 4 strand shock leader. He was susprised how effortless it was to chuck a 5oz lead a lot futher than on his sonik black and nylon.

Back