• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What rod and reel for kayak/bass

Helly

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi all,

Relatively new to fishing, but I’m looking for a rod that I can use for fishing from a kayak and also maybe a bit of shore fishing for bass.
I only intend to have one rod and reel for now so I’m looking for a good reliable all-round set up.
I’m also planning on just using lures and not any live/dead bait.
I’ve got my eyes on a Daiwa Seahunter Z boat road 7ft-12-20lb and a Shimano Socorro SW 6000.
Any thoughts on these for suitability?
Thank you.

I don't fish from a kayak but am sure other peeps can help.

Would say far to heavy of an outfit for lure fishing from a kayak and especially for shore fishing , lure fish of my boat n only use a light spinning rod along with a smallish fixed spool , sure if you put up a post in the lure section you'll get some good advice as well

Would say far to heavy of an outfit for lure fishing from a kayak and especially for shore fishing , lure fish of my boat n only use a light spinning rod along with a smallish fixed spool , sure if you put up a post in the lure section you'll get some good advice as well
Thanks for the input, really appreciated, what would you class as a light spinning rod, lbs/grams?

I would go for something closer to a medium or even heavy spin rod, casting 50-60 grams. This will give you the ability to cast heavier jig heads to suit different stages of tide and could also be used with 1-2oz weights for bottom drifting for plaice or bream should you find a suitable patch of ground.

A 6000 reel will be too big in my opinion. I use a 3500 or 4000 size on my 9ft 50g spinning outfit. Any reel from Shimano or Daiwa will see you right for now.

Thanks for the input, really appreciated, what would you class as a light spinning rod, lbs/grams?
Favourite rod for lightish lure / mackerel of the boat is a abu garcia 6ft rated up to 30g matched with a medium carp reel n 10lb line , outfit is years old now but works for all my harbour n inshore lure fishing if you Google abu garcia spinning combo which will give you a visual idea , no expert on the latest rods ect but works for me , mind you spend a fortune on lures !!

Favourite rod for lightish lure / mackerel of the boat is a abu garcia 6ft rated up to 30g matched with a medium carp reel n 10lb line , outfit is years old now but works for all my harbour n inshore lure fishing if you Google abu garcia spinning combo which will give you a visual idea , no expert on the latest rods ect but works for me , mind you spend a fortune on lures !!
I have an Abu Garcia devil spinning trigger grip rod up to 60gm matched with either a silver max multi or use an Abu cardinal 174swi fs reel.

Back