• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West When you wish you hadn’t bothered…

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
With such dire weather and the North Devon coast lashed by northerly winds, I nonetheless wanted to get out fishing this weekend.

Aches and pains weren’t great, again, but I checked out a local harbour mark in the afternoon on Saturday and it was well sheltered, plus it was hardly any great walk.

So with comments of ‘you must be mad!’ ringing in my ears as I went out the door, I drove the 10 minutes to the mark around 8pm and made the short hike out to the rock platform.

First impressions, shit, the wind had changed. It was meant to be northerly but I’d swear it was more north west as it was blowing into the harbour mouth and in my face.
Great ?

I’d taken fairly light rods, my Penn Vendettas, and they were bouncing around a fair bit (Joe was right!)

7FE3C81D-E0CB-4867-A124-DA0988DE7BB0.jpeg

My targets were whiting or dabs. It’s all pretty sandy here as long as you don’t hit a mooring chain and my theory was the stormy conditions would have pushed a few better fish inside the harbour after whatever was stirred up.
Never actually fished it in the winter so it was something in the nature of an experiment.

Baits we’re just small strips of herring, squid and bits of black lug, on a flapper and also a light pulley rig.

It was really miserable in the wind, everything was trying to blow away and my first retrieve revealed what looked like crab chewed baits plus great lumps of weed.
Wahoo ?

This persisted for a couple of casts and I figured I’d have maybe 4/5 casts with each rod and if it didn’t improve I was going to sack it off.

Next retrieve saw a tiny pout among the weed…

A0FF2F4F-87A5-4E17-994C-C672F550948D.jpeg
Not really encouraging as that was probably what was nibbling the bait and quite often they’re about when nothing bigger is.
Oh, and the other snood was caked in eel slime.
Deep joy ??

Then disaster!

My tripod blew over while I was rebating and the other rod bounced down two ledges and landed in the drink! ??????

I don’t really recall actually getting down the rocks, but next thing I was there and watched with a sinking feeling as it slid off the last bit of rock straight into the sea ???

It instantly began to drift off with the tide and in desperation I ignored the water and plunged a foot underneath it and lifted it towards me.

Amazingly it actually worked and I grabbed the dripping rod and reel to make sure it wasn’t going anywhere.
Then I thought, hang on a feckin minute, how did I even get down here?!
A bit of backwards scrambling feeling for footholds and eventually I hauled myself and my sodden gear back on to drier land.

That pretty much sealed the decision to leave but I cast out the other rod as it was ready and almost instantly had a bite that I actually saw.

A2210C7C-570E-41DD-BA2D-A657D83A2679.jpeg
Nothing fancy. A bigger pout about 10/12oz.

The wind was actually easing and on another night, especially after catching a larger fish, I’d probably have stayed but the decision to leave had been made.
Plus it occurred to me that I could probably continue on into town and catch the kebab shop before he shut, so that definitely sealed the deal!

Best catch of the night, a half pound cheeseburger! ?????

Still think that mark might do something on the right night, but it wasn’t tonight!

Well done on getting out mr fish , you were lucky to get your rod back in one piece and lucky you didn’t go in yourself. Oh well done on the couple of pout

Thanks all! Yep definitely a session to forget.

It is literally the only mark near me that might be out of a northerly so it was that or nothing really.

Still think better fish MUST go in there. If the pout like it, I’m sure the whiting etc would

Good report Tony! Shame about the gear going over and heading for a swim, but at least you got it back without any serious harm. Sooner see you Burgered than Buggered! ??

Nice one...lucky on the rod and reel back just about!!
Iv got a few weird spots too , where you know you might not bag up ,but can get yourself fishing out of certain rare strong winds.

With such dire weather and the North Devon coast lashed by northerly winds, I nonetheless wanted to get out fishing this weekend.

Aches and pains weren’t great, again, but I checked out a local harbour mark in the afternoon on Saturday and it was well sheltered, plus it was hardly any great walk.

So with comments of ‘you must be mad!’ ringing in my ears as I went out the door, I drove the 10 minutes to the mark around 8pm and made the short hike out to the rock platform.

First impressions, shit, the wind had changed. It was meant to be northerly but I’d swear it was more north west as it was blowing into the harbour mouth and in my face.
Great ?

I’d taken fairly light rods, my Penn Vendettas, and they were bouncing around a fair bit (Joe was right!)

View attachment 18565

My targets were whiting or dabs. It’s all pretty sandy here as long as you don’t hit a mooring chain and my theory was the stormy conditions would have pushed a few better fish inside the harbour after whatever was stirred up.
Never actually fished it in the winter so it was something in the nature of an experiment.

Baits we’re just small strips of herring, squid and bits of black lug, on a flapper and also a light pulley rig.

It was really miserable in the wind, everything was trying to blow away and my first retrieve revealed what looked like crab chewed baits plus great lumps of weed.
Wahoo ?

This persisted for a couple of casts and I figured I’d have maybe 4/5 casts with each rod and if it didn’t improve I was going to sack it off.

Next retrieve saw a tiny pout among the weed…

View attachment 18566
Not really encouraging as that was probably what was nibbling the bait and quite often they’re about when nothing bigger is.
Oh, and the other snood was caked in eel slime.
Deep joy ??

Then disaster!

My tripod blew over while I was rebating and the other rod bounced down two ledges and landed in the drink! ??????

I don’t really recall actually getting down the rocks, but next thing I was there and watched with a sinking feeling as it slid off the last bit of rock straight into the sea ???

It instantly began to drift off with the tide and in desperation I ignored the water and plunged a foot underneath it and lifted it towards me.

Amazingly it actually worked and I grabbed the dripping rod and reel to make sure it wasn’t going anywhere.
Then I thought, hang on a feckin minute, how did I even get down here?!
A bit of backwards scrambling feeling for footholds and eventually I hauled myself and my sodden gear back on to drier land.

That pretty much sealed the decision to leave but I cast out the other rod as it was ready and almost instantly had a bite that I actually saw.

View attachment 18567
Nothing fancy. A bigger pout about 10/12oz.

The wind was actually easing and on another night, especially after catching a larger fish, I’d probably have stayed but the decision to leave had been made.
Plus it occurred to me that I could probably continue on into town and catch the kebab shop before he shut, so that definitely sealed the deal!

Best catch of the night, a half pound cheeseburger! ?????

Still think that mark might do something on the right night, but it wasn’t tonight!
Wow im glad you managed to get your gear back mrfish ! Thats a scary moment by the sounds of things ! . A few hours out in the sea air is great and refreshing though ! Great report !

Lucky sod! That was a close call for lots of reasons. Part of me wants to say "no rod is worth your life, don't take unecessary risks" yada, yada, but the other part of me thinks I'd have done exactly the same in your shoes. Well done for a safe outcome. Phew! (y)

Lucky sod! That was a close call for lots of reasons. Part of me wants to say "no rod is worth your life, don't take unecessary risks" yada, yada, but the other part of me thinks I'd have done exactly the same in your shoes. Well done for a safe outcome. Phew! (y)
Not a huge amount of tide there so I think barring accidents ie hitting head, if I’d gone in I could have got out again okay, sea temps aren’t too low yet and had my floatie on.

But not desirable! Always the chance something else could go wrong plus my phone would have been soaked and knackered ☹️

You can mostly step down to the water there okay, although I have no particular memory of making the climb ?

Back