• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where’s the cod!

Pompey blue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi all. I’ve just joined. I was out last Sunday towards brambles, only had very small whiting and pout.
Has anyone had some luck catching the elusive cod yet?

Hi all. I’ve just joined. I was out last Sunday towards brambles, only had very small whiting and pout.
Has anyone had some luck catching the elusive cod yet?
Only know of one cod caught by a club member and that could have been mistaken for a large pout !! Wasn't caught that far out though

And there's millions in the North Sea off Whitby. A lot of just keepers mind, that go back, but still plenty of 4lb and over.

Was raised in redcar and remember plenty of cod being caught just of the scars, down in Hampshire on the south coast now (unfortunately) and cod of any size are a rarity , plenty of dogfish , yachts and jet skis though (God I miss yorkshire )

I thought our Welsh friends were supposed to be sending some of their spare unicorns to us in the Solent. bit like the lottery win - theu have not arrived yet!
Up to Tier 4 - not heard of any 30lb plus as we can get in Nab area but only a few codling on the odd boat. Our charter has had lots of good fish including Spur dogs but despite best efforts not a Unicorn in sight! Boat now laid up until restrictions ease or Feb when she comes out for the "dead season" clean up.

Good luck all you !

Back