• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Whopper ploppers

Warby72

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I've just been watching the Ginger fisherman on YouTube. He was nailing some pretty decent pike on the cheapest whopper plopper lure he could get from ebay. Straight away I was wondering if they would be appealing to bass and pollock as they both like a surface lure. Have any of you used these lures and what do you think of them.?

Last edited:
Not seen anyone use them for bass but I should imagine they;d ha\/e their dependant on the mood of the fish. Sometimes bass just don't want noisy other times they'll hit anything making a wake. I wouldn't bother trying them for pollock. \/ery rare in my experience that pollock will take anything off the top, in daylight anyway

Probably work at dusk when the fish were taking joey mackerel off the top??? I've tried poppers but didn't catch anything,saw some lads being very successful with them, but they knew when,where,and how to do it!!!

Probably work at dusk when the fish were taking joey mackerel off the top??? I've tried poppers but didn't catch anything,saw some lads being very successful with them, but they knew when,where,and how to do it!!!
I'\/e had plenty of bass on poppers, only when fish are feeding hard on the top .Took ages before I had my first bass on one though. Rarely use one now, they might get a swim if things are desperate These are different again, still \/ery noisy looking. I know the american bass boys lo\/e them but they ha\/en't caught on o\/er here the same way their spinner baits ha\/ent. might be a touch of snobbery, but if they caught well they would get used

Well I've just taken the plunge and got darling daughter to order an 8pk of cheap ones off amazon, should be here towards the end of the month.

\/ery rare in my experience that pollock will take anything off the top, in daylight anyway
Some dude up on skye Dmitrious or something does lure fishing out of his inflatable. Seen a vid where he had pollock breaching like polaris missiles on top water lures.

My mate has tried for bass with a whopper Plopper a few times and failed miserably He feels it's setting up a scare area with the constant commotion it sets up. He is thinking it might work with long pauses but he has lures that work so his desire to give it more water time to the lure is low.

Some dude up on skye Dmitrious or something does lure fishing out of his inflatable. Seen a vid where he had pollock breaching like polaris missiles on top water lures.
Funny you say that my friend had a load on the surface and just below on Skye. Maybe it's a trait for that venue though ,because he hadn't had a pollock near the surface before and neither had I ,apart from maybe 4 foot down in a 6 foot spot but they were small ones.
I know they do come on surface lures but seems more do up there than here

Back